Author Topic: Varnish over pencil design on a horn?  (Read 4975 times)

NSBrown

Varnish over pencil design on a horn?
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
I have only made a few horns, but I love making them. I have recently wondered about using a artist quality spray varnish over my pencil design on the body before starting the scrim work. I have been wondering if the vanish would help hold the pencil lines, while I was working on other areas. And if it might be helpful while inking the scrim, in minimizing ink staining on unintended areas. After cutting lines and inking, the vanish could be removed with mineral spirits. Has anyone tried this?

wbgv

Re: Varnish over pencil design on a horn?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
I find that hair spray is much easier...0000 steel wool will remove it without all the mess..

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
art supply stores will have a fixative spray made for that purpose as well
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
Double vote on the fixative spray. I have used it to hold pencil lines on other projects. Should work fine and it does not take much spray to accomplish your purpose.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

NSBrown

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »
Thanks guys. Makes more sense than my varnish idea.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Hair spray works just fine, and is water soluble. My preference is Tressoume in the pump bottle. No need to make yourself extra work, getting a clear spray off.

Hungry Horse

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
Hair spray has been used for years as a "fixative" spray by artist.  Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:35:42 PM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Horner75

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
My vote is for hair spray and it wipes right off with a dampened cloth...not to mention it's cheaper than the artist fixative!

Rick

2longhunt

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
White shoe polish has worked for me in the past.

2LH

mtgraver

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
I generally never use any type of spray stuff. I'll draw it all out in pencil and cut. If it gets smudged just redraw no big deal. If one sweats a lot then the lines disappear quickly so being aware of where you touch becomes more apparent. A cotton glove on the holding hand can help also.
Mark

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
I generally never use any type of spray stuff. I'll draw it all out in pencil and cut. If it gets smudged just redraw no big deal. If one sweats a lot then the lines disappear quickly so being aware of where you touch becomes more apparent. A cotton glove on the holding hand can help also.
Mark

yep, exactly what Mark said, minus the glove, but we do it the same way. I dont put anything on mine, ifn it gets wiped off just refresh it when you get there. I rarely have anything get wiped off though.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com