Author Topic: Good deal on Pfeil carving chisels  (Read 3956 times)

Bioprof

Good deal on Pfeil carving chisels
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
I think I just got a superb deal on a set of Pfeil chisels from Woodcraft.   I found them buried in the Clearance section of their web site.  It was an 8 piece set that included a soft fabric storage wrap for $99.  If you spend another dollar, you can get $10 off your order, and I was able to get free shipping by using a code from the catalog that they sent to me.   With the $10 off and the free shipping, I saved a total of $22 from the $99 sale price, so the total for the set was $77.99.   That's about $10 per piece.   

I'm looking forward to trying them out as I have been using Henry Taylor chisels, some of which have been somewhat disappointing.

Offline rick landes

Re: Good deal on Pfeil carving chisels
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
You will really see what a great bargain you have gotten after you use them! Good Job!
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »
It is not my intention to hijack this thread, but rather to add my carving experience.

I have used Buck Bros. chisels and gouges as well as English tools all my professional life. I added a good variety of Pfeil as suggested by an ALR member some time ago. They are outstanding.

But I was completely and pleasantly surprised by the thoroughly satisfactory job that Flexcut carving tools did for me when relief carving my muzzleloader  recently. Much of the carving was done holding the blade without the handle installed. They were as sharp as Pfeil and the V shaped tools especially beneficial. When I first saw them I could only think "gimmick." But may I suggest the FLEXCUT Carving Kit - 11 Piece at about $90 as a set well worth the money and a try.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
I have an assortment of tools, and a lot of Pfiel. I have never bee disappointed by the quality of those tools.

i also buy old chisels, worn, chipped etc, and revitalize them with a fresh grinding.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Bioprof

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »
Randall,

I have a small set of Flexcut palm tools and they are excellent.  The handle on the V-parting tool is a little too short to chase with a hammer though.  I have pretty good luck pushing it most of the time, but sometimes need a little help when going across the grain. 

I just couldn't pass up the Pfeil set for the price though.   The set that I ordered was a Woodcraft 80th Anniversary set that was specially made for them.

One of the pieces in the set is a 6 mm V-parting tool.   Would this be too wide for outlining carved areas on gunstocks?  The only V-parting tool that I have ever used is 2mm wide.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »
The tip width of the V-tool should be a little bigger than the line you are cutting. This helps to follow your pencil lines easier.

The wider V-tool is going to be handy for backgrounding, for laying it over on its side as you cut around the relief carved areas.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.