Author Topic: Finished..........Critical comments welcome.  (Read 13598 times)

razor62

Re: Finished..........Critical comments welcome.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »
 I've built a couple of rifles  over the last three years. The first was a rather nontraditional sporter based loosely (very loosely) on a 1863 Springfield. The second, a .58 cal. rifle centered around an Allen Boxlock Action.
I'm just now in the planning stages of my first long rifle build. I can tell you without a doubt that if my rifle turns out even nearly as well as yours I'll be quite pleased with myself indeed.
Excellent 1st rifle sir!!!!

JohnTyg

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
Thanks (technically my second rifle).
Please don't hesitate to post your progress and ask for advice here as I have lots to learn and have gained as much from following others builds as I have from advice on my own posts.  Lots of good experience here and it will keep you motivated and sometimes quite entertained.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
Thanks (technically my second rifle).
Please don't hesitate to post your progress and ask for advice here as I have lots to learn and have gained as much from following others builds as I have from advice on my own posts.  Lots of good experience here and it will keep you motivated and sometimes quite entertained.
Absolutely, methinks this is the highest function of this forum.  I'll be posting in just a few days as I begin shaping.

And I'm mostly comic relief. 
Hold to the Wind

Frank Savage

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
Man, congrats. I have way much more appreciation for halfstocks, albeit I realy agree, that properly made fullstock has an unique apeal.
I have only one point-the curves around the entry thinble are, compared to all other curves on the rifle, a bit abrupt. The transitions could have been done a bit longer, so than smoother. But maybe the grain didnīt allowed for sleekr curves here.
I agree with the wedges, they realy "sticks out" now for the eye. Maybe itīs just the digiphoto, which usualy gives higher contrasts to some parts. Iīm sure that after catching/being given some patina, it will be almost invisible.
The other two abovementioned "complains" I really apreciate as a great plus-I like the long smooth curved transition to the upper wrist way better, as well as the fact that you have more wood to hold the pushback upon firing. As well I like @!*% much the buttplate angle, which allows you to set the rifle right into shoulder, without getting punished by the upper butt on recoil. Also, it allows you to try to shoot longer range very comfortably. Or shoot prone without hurting your neck. No way from my point of view of the buttstock being too sleek, as well as the forestock not being too fat.
The weight and mass of the rifle is at least for the eye (and physicaly probably also) ballanced to the back, with light front at least half. Svelte, but well build front with well-build, but realy not fat back and butt-like ideal mix for something else...

JBlk

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
My Son, who collects antiques has told me that you can always spot an original piece because it will not be perfectly made.If you continue to create this type of art you will never be able to duplicate the masters.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
VERY nicely done! Good looking rifle. Obviously not your first.
Tom C.

JohnTyg

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 10:19:58 PM »
Thanks Tom,

Actually my second, and in the planning stages of my next.  Lots I hope I can improve upon.
One last pic of this rifle as as it will be quite awhile until I have any progress to post on my next (more likely will be seeking advice rather than posting progress).

John

mupperm

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:48 AM »
Very nice work hope i can do as nice a job on my second build! 

jamesthomas

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:24 AM »
Thanks Tom,

Actually my second, and in the planning stages of my next.  Lots I hope I can improve upon.
One last pic of this rifle as as it will be quite awhile until I have any progress to post on my next (more likely will be seeking advice rather than posting progress).

John

You know, the more I look at your rifle the better it gets. Please disregard my previous statment about the lock panels. My birthday is in March BTW.  ;)

woodburner

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »
John: your's is a very handsome rifle!  In all regards.  The photo of the orange dye really blew me away!  Another page in my "favorites".
Thanks for sharing your work.  Tim

JohnTyg

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
Tim,

The orange undertone really is not apparent in normal lighting;  although some of the pics taken with a flash seems to highlight this.  The actual color of the rifle is a dark reddish-brown.  I think it's hard to portray the actual color in photos  (also photos,... through foreshortening and cropping, can be made to show work in the "best light").

I though it best to "experiment" on this gun simply as a learning experience, so I tried a lot of things which were new to me.  That included making a single piece swagged nose cap and making my first patch box hinge, .... as well as orange stain. Wouldn't have attempted any of this without the forum.

I've received some nice comments and do appreciate the encouragement.  I think I've done a reasonable job, but in all honesty, simply lots of areas for improvement.  Hope to apply what I've learned here to my next rifle.  Not being critical of myself, just recognising that a lot more experience that two rifles goes into many of the examples I see from some of the experienced members here.

Absolutely my last photos and looking forward to getting the next project underway.

Again thanks for the help and encouragement.

Yup,...those wedges are too thick.

JohnTyg

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 04:45:37 AM »
OK this is absolutely the last one!

docone

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 04:52:52 AM »
There is a lot there to be proud of!
Good job.
It all looks excellent.