Author Topic: What Cal. ?  (Read 13415 times)

Daryl

Re: What Cal. ?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 01:46:50 AM »
I surely agree with a .32 for small game.  For trails, that is, trail walks that give you a score, I'd draw the line at .45 or above. Don't get me wrong, I truly love my .40 & use it for trails, just as Taylor does - BUT - as the fellows you shoot with get older, longer in the tooth and harder of hearing, not to mention failing eyesight, you'll "lose points" if shooting a .40 on many trails with fairly heavy gong targets. If using a .32 on a trail, I wager you could count on at least 1 point per 25 shot trail & maybe 2 sometimes.  Much depends on wind, sounds in the trees, the 'friendly' talking by those you're shooting with, hecklers, etc. On heavy 100yard targets, the .32's little 42gr. ball doesn't make much noise, nor does it move the gongs much. some move, but not all, even though you ro someone might hear a faint short 'tink'. Always good to have young people along. HA!

That said, using the .32 or .40 on the trail is more challenging, mucho fun, especially on cutting cards with one, really shakes them u,p but a .45 is much easier imho and a .50 if fed well is the hands-down winner on trail walks- again, imho.  Some of our guys do exceptionally well with their .54's as well and there are times when even larger bores like a .58 or the 'Gentle Lady' wins.  She's very persuasive in making targets swing so there is no doubt of a hit.  I have fun with that one every rendezvous - with the re-bar tri-pod mounted steel gongs - lifting them up into the air on the single rear leg then they plop back down. It's all fun and games, so depending on whether it's just for fun or for winning, makes the choice more important.

Offline Herb

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »
Other considerations are the tiny little .32 or .36 balls.  If you have big hands, they might be harder to handle than larger balls, especially in fast reloading for trail walks or hunting.  Also the little ramrods.  I have built a bunch of .40s and like them, only one .36 that I didn't get to shoot before it sold.
Herb

mupperm

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »
I believe I am leaning toward a .36 I have 45 cal T/C hawken and a .50 cal modern in-line i use in shotgun season.  now to decide flint or percussion.??
one other thing is there a selection of twist rate for the .36 it will be shooting a patched round ball.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:41:40 PM by mupperm »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:19 PM »
The .36 is an extremely fine small game/varmint caliber.  I'm biased but still recommend flintlocks as they are more fun and require more personal physical involvement.  They are individuals, for sure.  I have percussion guns, too, but seldom use them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
Muppern,

I built myself a 36 Bucks County flintlock rifle some years ago and have killed all manner of small game from squirrels to coyotes with it.  I load it with 000 buck shot, .020 patch and 40 grains of FFFg Goex.  That load really smacks a gray squirrel - little need to gut them if body-hit and drops coyotes with authority and very little hide damage.

Most producers cut a 36 caliber barrel with a 1 in 48 inch twist.  It works well in my rifle.

I prefer flint - the cap shooters I know seem to have too many ignition problems.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

mupperm

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 03:07:30 AM »
Muppern,

I built myself a 36 Bucks County flintlock rifle some years ago and have killed all manner of small game from squirrels to coyotes with it.  I load it with 000 buck shot, .020 patch and 40 grains of FFFg Goex.  That load really smacks a gray squirrel - little need to gut them if body-hit and drops coyotes with authority and very little hide damage.

Most producers cut a 36 caliber barrel with a 1 in 48 inch twist.  It works well in my rifle.

I prefer flint - the cap shooters I know seem to have too many ignition problems.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

I must get enlightened.  I would of figured a caplock to  be more efficient and trustworthy

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »
Since the percussion cap was invented as an improvement on the flint ignition system and pretty much supplanted the flintlock(including numerous conversion of flintlocks to percussion ignition)  before being replaced itself by self-contained cartridges,  the percussion being "more efficient and trustworthy" is probably correct.   However, the flinters are just more fun and challenging to shoot.   Also, many muzzleloader shooters are interested in a particular school of gunmaking, a geographic area or historical period where a percussion lock just wouldn't be correct.    For example, if you're a War of 1812 buff and want to do any reenacting or rendezvousing in that 'persona', percussion isn't an option.      Pick a flint or percussion based on your own criteria and what you'll be most comfortable with.   However, if you go with a caplock, you won't be able to wear a shirt like this:

mupperm

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »
Pick a flint or percussion based on your own criteria and what you'll be most comfortable with.   However, if you go with a caplock, you won't be able to wear a shirt like this:

I like the shirt  8)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Pick a flint or percussion based on your own criteria and what you'll be most comfortable with.   However, if you go with a caplock, you won't be able to wear a shirt like this:

I like the shirt  8)

Not to mention you won't get into Heaven without a flinter.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:07 AM »
Quote from: mupperm link=topic=24707.msg237134#msg237134
I must get enlightened.  I would of figured a caplock to  be more efficient and trustworthy

it could be, but this ain't about that.  the window of history where flintlocks dominated is much longer than cappers, and they're just more fun to play with.

i knew the very first time i ever shot a finter, many years ago, that i was going to HAVE one.  had no idea it'd take so long-but that was just because i was never again around anyone else who had one and algore hadn't invented the innernets yet.

if you start with flint, and don't like it-can't get the hang of it, you can convert to percussion-just like many thousands of originals were.  if your caps get wet and everybody else is flinting...the military term is S/O/L. ;D

if your priming powder container gets compromise or empty...no big deal as the historically astute say that there is no reference to any one any where using a separate powder back in the day.  Modern experiments (Larry Pletcher) show us an avg of .004 seconds ignition difference anyway.  

light it any way you choose.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:01:50 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:42 AM »
Once you go flint you never repent! Was afraid of them for years but now I don't want to shoot anything else. If I could only have one rifle caliber it would be .50. If local regulations permit it is fine for squirrells. You just always either bark them or take head shots. I've taken lots of squirrels with a .45 and a .50 this way. (I've missed a lot too!)
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA