Author Topic: Old Dixie Gun Works J.S. Hawkens Lock kit ?  (Read 6645 times)

Harms Way

Old Dixie Gun Works J.S. Hawkens Lock kit ?
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »
I guess I'll just jump in head first.......

I built a few authentic style Hawkins rifles back in the 70's, And on those rifles I used a lock kit I bought from Dixie,... It was not drilled, tapped or assembled. But it was a very nice investment cast kit with fairly authentic border and name on the lockplate. Does anybody have one of these kits ? or does anybody still make them ?

They really worked out well for me,... after 34 years, I found "among my souvenirs" almost all the parts to build another Hawkins rifle,... except the lock. And I want to take another go at it.....

Can anybody help me out ?,.... Does anybody remember these lock kits ?..... Help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:15:25 AM by Harms Way »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Old Dixie Gun Works Lock kit ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:13:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if the early J&S Hawken kit from The Rifle Shop isnt close to the one you seek if Dixie dosent still sell one.

Harms Way

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
I have been out of the loop for so long I have no idea where to go for what. I will see if it's the same lock kit. Thanks for the input.

Harms Way

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if the early J&S Hawken kit from The Rifle Shop isnt close to the one you seek if Dixie dosent still sell one.

Well guys I don't want to beat a dead horse,... But does anybody remember these lock kits ?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Old Dixie Gun Works J.S. Hawkins Lock kit ?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
But does anybody remember these lock kits ?
Yeah, we all remember them.  We had a discussion about them last year.  I had 3 of them which sold immediately.  Yer not a dollar short, but yer a year late.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
I vaguely remember these kits and the only useful parts were the plate
and the hammer and I sometimes make a lock from these two parts.
I have a Rifle Shoppe catalog and see no Hawken parts listed.
There are five J&S plates in my inventory but I make completed locks
from them when needed.
Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
I bought one of those, Dave, and I intend to build myself another Hawken rifle using it.  It's going to need some tlc but I think it'll make into a useable lock.

Harms Way...I don't like to be a nit picker, but it's Hawken, not Hawkins.  A pet peeve ...sorry.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Harms Way

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
I bought one of those, Dave, and I intend to build myself another Hawken rifle using it.  It's going to need some tlc but I think it'll make into a useable lock.

Harms Way...I don't like to be a nit picker, but it's Hawken, not Hawkins.  A pet peeve ...sorry.

You can pick all the nit you want  ;),... And your right, I should have known better as I did a ton of research on them back in the 70's. But like I said, I have been away from all this for 34 years. I got away from it when I couldn't afford two hobbies and went "all in" on building traditional Hot Rods ( a passion of mine since the 1960's).....  No offense taken, and thanks for the correction. 

Offline little joe

Re: Old Dixie Gun Works J.S. Hawkens Lock kit ?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
Although all the rifles that I have saw were marked Hawken, at one time Hawkins was anouther way to spell the family name. Hawkins is found in many of the ledgers Hope this helps.

Online rsells

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:53 PM »
I have a lock that I think came from Dixie a bunch of years back.  It has cast in engraving on the plate and hammer, has Joseph Goulsher name on the plate, and is cut for a small snail plug.  It has a border (two lines) running around the edge of the  plate and the plug cut out.  It is unused.  Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a couple pictures.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Harms Way

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:41 AM »
I have a lock that I think came from Dixie a bunch of years back.  It has cast in engraving on the plate and hammer, has Joseph Goulsher name on the plate, and is cut for a small snail plug.  It has a border (two lines) running around the edge of the  plate and the plug cut out.  It is unused.  Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a couple pictures.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Hi Roger,... I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your lock kit,.. and possibly a price if you are willing to part with it (and if it's the right lock) .

Online rsells

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 06:52:54 AM »
Harms Way,
I put the lock with pictures in the for sale section of the ALR earlier today.  I thought it was made by Dixie, but not sure.  Take a look and see if it is what you are looking for.  I was saving it for a project that just keeps being pushed out and thought I would go ahead and sell the lock.
                                                               Roger Sells

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 05:27:14 AM »
Although all the rifles that I have saw were marked Hawken, at one time Hawkins was anouther way to spell the family name. Hawkins is found in many of the ledgers Hope this helps.

We need to maintain context here.
People were pretty loose in their spelling back in the day. Read the original journals of Lewis and Clark, they spelled words differently on the same page sometimes.
In this context the HAWKEN rifle was made by Jake and Sam HAWKEN and that's how they were marked. Calling them "Hawkins" is incorrect no matter what someone may have written in some ledger or account book. 

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine