Author Topic: Brass for Dickert sideplate  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Brass for Dickert sideplate
« on: December 27, 2008, 04:45:23 AM »
Ready to  make a sideplate for Dickert "style" rifle.  The rest of the brass came from Reeves Goering and is a nice soft yellow.  What are the specifications for the brass Reeves uses, anyone know?  Sure wish we had Reeves available on this board.  Does anyone know does Reeves cast blanks for sideplates?   

Offline Dave B

Re: Brass for Dickert sideplate
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:41 AM »
I know that Reves has some side plates cuz I bought one from him for a lehigh triggerguard and butt plate he had. I asume he's got others to go with his vast collection of other stuff. You may need to ask him to bring out the box from under the table.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:37:14 AM »
I just spoke with him this afternoon.No sideplates.He said he has to remake his patterns. :(
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »
Jerry, any of the sand cast sideplates offered will match up in terms of color.
Just avoid the bronze wax cast stuff.  THere's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't match in color unless you're using the same stuff for the rest of the gun.

What I always do is cut them out of 1/8 in. sheet. That way ,I can line them up the way I want.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »
B. Shipman,  I want to cut one out of plate too, but the brass plate I am finding doesn't matchup to the color of the brass in the buttplate and trigger guard I have from Reeves.  I guess I will have to figure out which of the available sand cast plates is large enough to be resized/shaped to my needs. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:29:14 AM »
Standard sheet brass of alloy 260 (cartridge brass) has always matched Reaves's stuff quite well in my experience.    This is the type of brass commonly available from muzzleloader parts suppliers.  You can also get it from other sources such as McMaster Carr etc.