Author Topic: why you can’t just cut back the face of breech plug  (Read 13848 times)

Offline mark esterly

Re: why you can’t just cut back the face of breech plug
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
thank you dr.boone.  that is my point. i'm not an expert at anything but making things worse than they already are sometimes and other than kits i've only built one longrifle so far which i inlet the barrel and breechplug assembled. it can be done easily so why do extra work. besides i didn't trust myself messing with the breech.  cutting the dovetails on @$200 barrel was another story. i don't second guess my auto mechanic and take his work apart to check it. i trust he is doing his job properly and has more skill at his profession than i. 
   and for the record i shoot mr. chambers locks just as they come without messing with them. they don't need adjusting.
    i have the highest respect and admiration for the talent and knowledge you guys have and share but there are certain aspects that my head can't wrap it's self around.  maybe i'm just stubborn.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 04:40:27 AM »
Nope, I'm not complaining about any barrel makers. I am very happy to be able to get such an assortment of sizes and shapes. When I started building muzzleloaders, all one could get were straight octagon bbls.

As Rich has said, that these barrels are made by humans, but it's YOUR responsibility to make sure it's right. Do not assume it's right. Assume your airplane/car is safe? No, you check it out, or get it checked out.

My advice based on my experience, from 'geeze, I wish I'd looked before I put all this time into the project' . Once cut into, a barrel is well nigh impossible to exchange.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:59 AM »
Here's the facts as I see them...  Yes, it's great that there are parts available.  Yes, I think they are very affordable.  But the fact remains, that there are oftentimes considerable problems with quality.  Barrels included.  Barrels that aren't breeched properly are not necessarily uncommon.  With that said, some manufactures seem to take this very seriously and do a very good job.   Not all, however.  Just the nature of this business or industry.  I don't like it, but it seems to be what it is. 

Birddog6

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:41 AM »
If I buy a Getz, Colerain, Rice, Long Hammock or other barrel and the supplier says I am paying for a breeched barrel, I expect it to be done properly and to fit tightly. So far everyone I have bought has, when debreeched just for safety/QA purposes they have looked fine. putting some black magic marker on the breech to see how the plug mates with it has been prety convincing....and, I will keep doing it......

I check them ALL.  Found too many with gaps at the breech face for me to trust them.  (9 at last count)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:05:06 AM by D. Keith Lisle »