Author Topic: Original Barrels and Stocks  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Original Barrels and Stocks
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Ron's post for an original barrel over in the for sale forum got me to thinking. I am not a restorer of antique rifles so was hoping some of you knowledgeable, experienced restorers will chime in about this. Over the last few years I have collected several original M\L barrels and a few had stocks and furniture with them. These were pretty much of the percussion era, and what I would call "working mans rifles". No real artistic merrit, but a couple with nice patina'd curly maple. Barrels ranged in length from short\36" halfstock designed straight barrels to 43\44" swampers. I used to reuse some of the barrels and made a few nice shooting flintlock rifles out of them. It was fun but an experience I'm quite over with. I know some of the skilled blacksmiths around today like to use old wrought iron barrels to make tomahawk heads out of them. It seems to me that if one had a nice old longrifle worthy of restoration (say the forstock was missing pieces or needed lengthening), that one of these old scroungers I've earlier described would come in handy for such a sacrifice? Seems it would be a better restoration if old wood and metal were used. Somehow making the finished piece more authentic? What do you all think?  One of my favorite "relic" rifles has hung above the doorway to my shop for many years. It is an old Ohio-ish fullstock that has most of it's parts with the exception of it's toe plate and an old ill fitting percussion lock. The hand made double set triggers it holds are so nice I plan to someday put them into a contemporary project.  But then again, I am torn with the thought of separating parts that have been together for more than a century or two.
Joel Hall

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Original Barrels and Stocks
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
I'm not a restorer but it's pretty common to use old barrels in restoration.  Offhand I can think of 2 "important" rifles in Rifles of Colonial America with replaced, period barrels.
Andover, Vermont

ottawa

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
you could post some pics of your "relic" one thing for sure is we would like to see it. on the plus side someone here mite have or know were to get the parts to make it a useable rifle in its full glory. as for the blacksmiths that use old barrel for tomahawks I have seen this but I would not do it if I had a full barrel that mite have life left in it exspecilay if you have a hole rifle minus a couple parts as you have prob read on this board it ain't over till its over for a muzzle loader.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
Well Ottawa, it was time for this ole girls annual dusting anyway. This rifle came from the rafters of an old barn on the northern Ohio\Michigan border. It had been wrapped up in burlap. The 41 1\2" swamped barrel is unmarked with an approx. bore size just over 45cal. It shows very good rifling and would clean up pretty well I think.  The rest of the piece is pretty ricketty however and I would not consider shooting it as it is. The lock is a bar type where originally there are traces of shape around the mortice for an earlier front action percussion style. This lock does function and as I said the triggers are the work of a highly skilled craftsman. The brass furniture is totally covered in the mysterious black stuff, maybe paint, I don't know. I had posted a few pics here quite a long time ago. But here are some new photo's.              
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:50:41 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
       [imghttp://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/joelhall452/OriginalOhioLongrifle008.jpg]http://[/img]     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:55:28 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
That one is too good to sacrifice.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
 Looks kinda lehigh-ish the way the buttstock curves. The triggers and triggerguard look very nice. Let me check my Dixie Gun Works an TOTW, an see if that triggerguard is in any of them, it looks mighty familiar. OK, I checked it out it it kinda looks like Tracks TG-E-36-B attribited to Wolfgang Haga. A Reading or Berks County longrifle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:22:32 PM by james e »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
Looks kinda lehigh-ish the way the buttstock curves. The triggers and triggerguard look very nice. Let me check my Dixie Gun Works an TOTW, an see if that triggerguard is in any of them, it looks mighty familiar. OK, I checked it out it it kinda looks like Tracks TG-E-36-B attribited to Wolfgang Haga. A Reading or Berks County longrifle.

I think we can agree with 100% certainity that Haga never laid hand nor eye on that rifle!  :D

But it's certainly a gun worth keeping intact!
Years ago I bought two rifles, one Lehigh and one who-knows-where gun to use for parts, but couldn't bring myself to cut either one of them up for parts.

John  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:54:15 PM by JTR »
John Robbins