Author Topic: "zippo" type flinter setup  (Read 5645 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
"zippo" type flinter setup
« on: January 05, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
this is probably old news, but i ran across a (Pennsylvania) C/L ad last night for a gimmick that replaces the flint with a roller/flint assembly just like is used to spark a zlppo-type lighter.

it's aimed at the PA crowd asking for folks to write in to support the product as a legal hunting device.

looks like it works dandy-BUT this is the edge of the Slippery Slope.  for the sake of the longrifle, i'd rather not see that adopted.  It's moot here as we have no m/l restrictions.

discuss
Hold to the Wind

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: "zippo" type flinter setup
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
I videoed one slow motion in 2009 at the spring shoot.  The sparks look very strong, but when watched frame by frame, pan ignition didn't look any better than a good flint.  The reason may be that the trip down the frizzen is slow compared to a flint strike.  I think the video is on my 2009 slow motion stuff
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
I've seen it before and it's been discussed on a number of other muzzle loading forums.  I am sure the inventor put a lot of time and thought into the design not to mention money but I would be against it for inclusion into a traditional/primitive hunting season.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline JDK

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
I doubt there is any chance of getting it adopted in Pennsylvania.  Why would a Commonwealth that has the most primitive of muzzleloading seasons allow the adoption of a mechanical firing devise?  Seems silly.

Things change very, very slowly here....the folks here are very, very resistant to change....any change.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Old Bob

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
I think they used to call them things wheel locks. ;D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »
Yes, I'd not be in favor of any laws changing-next thing would be a peep sight, then...

Wow, see how far behind i am... Larry, thanks for the research angle. Not that a well-constructed marketing campaign can't completely demolish the Truth*, but that us, who know, will know through work such as you take on.

*We have plenty of that already.

I don't really understand the market except for the guys/gals who are required to use flint, but are just "me too" hunting and not _enthusiasts_ so that they don't understand and they think it would simplify the contraption, but of course it doesn't.

Someday i'll campaign for a "historic" M/L weekend in this state...mebbe.  ;)

AS it were, it is of no further interest to me (until someone digs up an original  ;D).
Hold to the Wind

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:37 AM »
 I've seen that thing, and I betcha 20 dollars my flintlock is faster. Large Siler. I will also becha the L&R Bailes lock I'll have on my .40 is faster to. The guy would be better off learning how to knapp Flints an selling them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:34:35 AM by james e »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:37 AM »
why would anybody bet against Larry Pletcher's observations? 

oh yeah, that PTBarnum thing... ::)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:24 AM »
I hunted around trying find the link to the you tube video of this lock.  Here it is -- if the link works:

Watch to see how long it takes for the fire to travel down to the pan. this is part of the reason why it doesn't work as well as they say.  In slow motion of a flint the sparks roll down the frizzen face just below the flint edge.  Another clue is to watch the time it takes before the size of the fire increases. That is when the pan ignites.

I do believe that a good flint is faster.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:51 AM »
I bought one of those thing back in the 70's, when I was just getting started in flintlocks in PA.  since I refuesed to glue the suede on the frizzen it didn't work at all.  I was surprised in watching your video, Pletch, at how much fire it made.  My guess is that the speed with which the little wheel travels down the frizzen is what produces all that fire.  And yes, your videos of flinters shows the sparks being propelled down the frizzen ahead of the flint and being forced into the pan at high speed.
On another note, when I had my wheellock ready to hunt I sent an email to the wild life department in PA and asked when I could use it to hunt.  Even though a wheellock predates the flinter, they said no to the late season flint only season, but yes to the early season where even inlines are allowed.  Go figure.  But to be fair, if they allow one other way of lighting the pan, they just open a can of worms.  And they have had enough trouble maintaining the 'primitive' ignition system over the decades anyway.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
This apparatus showed up many years ago and was shot down  by the Pa. Game Commission.   One of the few things
they have done right in a long time..........Don

Offline bigbat

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
don didnt I see you using one of these about 3 years ago at Fort Frederick??   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:19 AM »
I didn't realize that PA had allowed the other stuff   ::) .  I had heard of the flint/ball/open ever only rule back in them 80's or so.  Thought it was great, but never hunted up there. Haven't been that far up the old #81 trail since then.  (made it to #64 last year though.)

I was just doing a "nationwide" cruise of Craigslist and found duder selling 'em there (in PA) and he had a note in there about "calling your commission" or whatever.  

Solution looking for a problem.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:56:48 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »
The thing is not legal for deer or bear in pa. But is legal for elk, coyote and small game.