Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 4758 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Perspective
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:08 AM »
Perspective changes your perception and observations.

This is a note of thanks to those who have put up with my youthful enthusiasm and ignorance off and on these past few years.  The intensity of my Studies has ramped up somewhat with more texts acquired and more information has had time to sink in.

I've seen the shift in my observations, at the level of detail and form registering to my eyes.  Things that were not obvious, are now jumping out at me.  Many of those numerous names are getting less unfamiliar and the times and regions are sorting themselves a bit more naturally.

Long way to go, but the journey is the journey.

To the newest guys/gals, relax and listen and read and DO, for heavens sake DOING is the best teacher. The man who has made 100 mistakes knows much more than the man who has only made three. It'll come, and sooner than you think, and eventually YOU (or me even) might be the old guy/gal helping a noob figure how to see what to put where and why.  

I'm still a bit nervous taking the wood off, but heckfireandtarnation it can't stay there!  

SO thank for taking time away from the bench and family to share and tarry here, and making the attempt to converse with us at the level we presently occupy. ALR has been a huge learning tool for me and countless others i'm sure.  That is teaching, and not everybody is cut out for it, but it is a necessity if We (those who come later) are to carry the flame to the following generations.

Cheers,

WP
(I'll be away for a bit as i have a deer to skin and such plus a fire to tend).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:37:12 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Pete G.

Re: Perspective
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Wait until you've been at this long enough to still own a gun you built twenty years previously. Most likely you genuinely loved that piece, but now it's like a first wife.......What the heck did I ever see in her  ???

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
I feel like the same guy I was when I was a teen....always loved these longrifles.

Through experience, my tastes have changed, skills refined, and narrowed my field of interest. I really like Germanic work, and American work that shows strong Germanic influence. Golly, it's fun stuff.

I think one of the best things is the friendships that develop through a common interest. The ALR provides me with a sense of real solid community. I have made many wonderful friends through the forum. I am up in no-where-land as far as longrifles go. People that share my passion are far and few between in my neck of the woods. Were it not for the ALR, I would not have had the growth opportunity that I have experienced.

Thank you,

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
Yep Tom, there is irony in our use of the Collective to further our knowledge and recreation of the past, BUT then it is the best tool for those of us operating in isolation.

My "local" group is a 10-hour mule ride away, and w/o the Web, I might still not know of them.  ALR specifically represents a labor of Love for Dennis and all the others who have contributed greatly.  Thanks to Y'all for creating this particular spot.
Hold to the Wind

sweed

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
Perspective changes your perception and observations.

This is a note of thanks to those who have put up with my youthful enthusiasm and ignorance off and on these past few years.  The intensity of my Studies has ramped up somewhat with more texts acquired and more information has had time to sink in.

I've seen the shift in my observations, at the level of detail and form registering to my eyes.  Things that were not obvious, are now jumping out at me.  Many of those numerous names are getting less unfamiliar and the times and regions are sorting themselves a bit more naturally.

Long way to go, but the journey is the journey.

To the newest guys/gals, relax and listen and read and DO, for heavens sake DOING is the best teacher. The man who has made 100 mistakes knows much more than the man who has only made three. It'll come, and sooner than you think, and eventually YOU (or me even) might be the old guy/gal helping a noob figure how to see what to put where and why.  

I'm still a bit nervous taking the wood off, but heckfireandtarnation it can't stay there!  

SO thank for taking time away from the bench and family to share and tarry here, and making the attempt to converse with us at the level we presently occupy. ALR has been a huge learning tool for me and countless others i'm sure.  That is teaching, and not everybody is cut out for it, but it is a necessity if We (those who come later) are to carry the flame to the following generations.

Cheers,

While not as far along as Wade,.....yeh! WHAT HE SAID.  Thanks for being there. 8)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:03:35 AM »
I am still in the beginning of learning what goes where , and why. I am reading and watching every book and video I can lay my hand on, and I am finding that things that were hard to comprehend in the beginning of my quest are now begginning to come to me more easily and make since thru reading over and over and watching over and over. I am nowhere near as far along as you are wade or sweed, and especially tom, but I am finally starting to learn something. thanks to all of you guys of ALR!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

razor62

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
As a noob myself I'd like to make an observation if I may...
I belong to or have belonged to many other forums dealing with many subjects from archery to hunting to homebrewing...The list goes on. It never fails that on each of those forums there are a few members who consider themselves to be the last word on the subject at hand. This tendency is evident without fail on every single forum that I've belonged to and it's annoying at the very least and more times than not it's caused me to either abandon the forum all together or to simply avoid posting for fear of being made to look foolish.
Nowhere else have I seen the overwhelming amount of true craftsman and authorities on a particular subject as I have seen here on ALR and despite the fact that there are so many folks here who actually DO have the right to come off as "know-it-alls" the only thing that outweighs the wealth of knowledge among the members here is the humbleness of those very same folks. There's an obvious respect between the members here that you just won't find in too many other places. Their willingness to share techniques, trade secrets, advice and experience is of immeasurable value to all of the members and at whatever skill level they may have attained in this endeavor.

So, thanks from me as well to all of the folks who make learning here so enjoyable.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:15:27 AM »
As a noob myself I'd like to make an observation if I may...
I belong to or have belonged to many other forums dealing with many subjects from archery to hunting to homebrewing...The list goes on. It never fails that on each of those forums there are a few members who consider themselves to be the last word on the subject at hand. This tendency is evident without fail on every single forum that I've belonged to and it's annoying at the very least and more times than not it's caused me to either abandon the forum all together or to simply avoid posting for fear of being made to look foolish.
Nowhere else have I seen the overwhelming amount of true craftsman and authorities on a particular subject as I have seen here on ALR and despite the fact that there are so many folks here who actually DO have the right to come off as "know-it-alls" the only thing that outweighs the wealth of knowledge among the members here is the humbleness of those very same folks. There's an obvious respect between the members here that you just won't find in too many other places. Their willingness to share techniques, trade secrets, advice and experience is of immeasurable value to all of the members and at whatever skill level they may have attained in this endeavor.

So, thanks from me as well to all of the folks who make learning here so enjoyable.

Razor,
Thank you for the post above, thanks to the ALR moderators for their hard work doing a great job of moderating this forum. Once in awhile they need to keep things within the ALR guidelines but for the most part the members here are well behaved and eager to help other members and that is great. The moderators will probably be asking for a raise now ;D Seriously thanks they do a great job.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:24:51 AM »
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I hear raise ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »
Whoa now.... that raise talk is a slippery slope! Give the mod's a bump and next it will be "The Committee" making broad hints... then Member's Number One, Two, etc...

My hat is absolutely off to the long term members and builders of this forum for their willingness to share, the moderators for enabling our discourse and learning, and the intrepid library committee for their often unheralded efforts in providing a grand search resource.

Thank You!

dp
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:44:23 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:13:29 AM »
Heck yeah, share the love and joy! 

Yes i've been all over the web too (10's of thousands of posts and even moderator responsibilities at one site) and that's how I know a good spot when i see one.  Thanks All. 

Anybody wants to learn how to make a bike, LMK, i'll direct you to the best place for that. ;)
Hold to the Wind