General discussion > Shop Made Tools

cutting files

(1/2) > >>

Leon:
Hello all, I'm new to this site and to building rifles. I've been working up the guts to ask this question so here goes. How do you cut files or other tools to fit specific jobs without ruining their integrity? I have an abrasive wheel chop saw, bench grinder and a 41/2 inch angle grinder with cutting capability.  Leon     

albert:
If you can get your hands on a slow running "wet grinder" you can grind tools with not much trouble of taking the temper out of them. What I do sometimes at work I will have one of my co-workers cut tools down on a "Wire E.D.M."machine.

Dphariss:
Grinder or belt sander or heat bend and reharden.
If you need something really strange a scraper might work better for metal or wood.
Dan

Leon:
Thank you for the responses. I don't have any access to any special tools and I have cut enough metal with my abrasive tools to know they will heat up the the files quickly. I'll do it slowly with frequent cooling. I want to modify a knife edge file and a larger triangular file. My Lancaster kit is reaching the point were I have to make a decision as to how far I want to go with it. A wooden patch box and decorative carving seems daunting to me right now, but I'm willing to give a try. Thank you again. Leon   

Acer Saccharum:
Even if you ruin the temper of a file by grinding, it will still cut wood very well.

You can also re-harden the files if you think it necessary. I'd try it out on wood before I went to any trouble.

These were made by cutting pieces off a file, and then brazed to steel shanks, then dunked in water while still hot. The final shapes were ground after the brazing.  Work pretty well, have not gotten dull, and I think it's pretty hard to damage the cutting teeth, unless you actually grind the teeth off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version