Author Topic: today's blogspot western VA rifle  (Read 3614 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
today's blogspot western VA rifle
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/01/original-flintlock-rifle.html

Great looking gun with really fine architecture.  I'm wondering how to estimate when it was made.  The buttplate has little curvature which is surprising to me and looks 1800-ish?  How does that line up with the lock and patchbox?  Also does the caliber of .47 give us a clue?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:12:27 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: today's blogspot western VA rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
We have discussed this gun a number of times here - as Rich pointed out it is a really neat rifle and very unique.  The condition of it is really amazing - one of the most pristine iron mounted guns I have seen.

just my opinion but I would tend to guess this gun to be somewhere in the late 1790s-1805 era based solely on the lock.  Were it not for the lock  I would have no hesitation believing it to be a 1790 gun or a even few years earlier.  A lock like this could have been on a high-end English gun by the 1780s, but its use on an American rifle like this would not be something you would expect before the mid 1790s.  Others may have different opinions but I think that the buttplate has a very early look - in side profile it calls to mind the Tileston rifle a bit.  It is rather compact and the sides much more convex in cross section than you see on iron guards even on most other 1790s iron mounted guns from SW VIrginia and North Carolina (not that we have a ton of those to study, but there are a few), retaining an early feel.  

Dennis - the photos on the blog did not show the underside of the guard - I seem to recall trading some e-mails with you a couple of years ago - I do not have much knowledge of military muskets of the era but the guard did not exactly resemble any of the styles I am familiar with - I tend to think this guard could actually have been made to go with the rifle, rather than being cut down,  but I don't know.

It definitely is an all business gun -I could easily see someone toting around something like this right at the end of the era of Chickamauga Wars.  Looks like it was made to stand up to hard use.  Maybe even someone who had some training at one of armories of the era or maybe even as a prototype for a militia contract rifle.  

Guy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:00:22 PM by G-Man »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
The rifle (bad photos) is pictured with the iron mounted rifles in the ALR Virtual Library. The photo below shows the guard.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tom patton

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
I believe this gun is another in a small group of guns, from Southwest Virginia or Tennessee {the Bogles}.I know of six guns that may constitute this group,the three Bogles,and three other rifles probably from Southwest Virginia.I Have handled all but one of this group and have formerly seen a  photograph of the remaining gun and would date the group about 1790-1810.I am sorry that I cannot be more specific but have slept since I lost interest in rifles of this type and period.

Tom Patton
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:46:45 AM by tom patton »

Offline TPH

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
The guard does look like it could have been from an early flint musket but, where is the hole for the rear sling swivel stud? From the earliest days of US musket production (and the French muskets from which they were copied) through the early production of the M1816, the rear sling swivel was attached using a stud that also secured the front of the trigger guard to the stock. The stud hole was rectangular and less than an inch in front of the guard bow. Of course it could be a variant guard used on a militia variant..... maybe? I like this gun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:10:56 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern