Author Topic: HOME MADE GUN BUILDERS WOODEN DRILL PRESS VISE.  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
HOME MADE GUN BUILDERS WOODEN DRILL PRESS VISE.
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »
As most of you know, I am fairly new to long rifle building . I have seen videos and also in building books pictures of home made drill press vises. I want to build one for my table top craftsman drill press. Has anyone here have plans ,or could show a diaghram for building one? I would be forever grateful for any advise.

thanks in advance,
                                                                                                                       topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline cmac

Re: HOME MADE GUN BUILDERS WOODEN DRILL PRESS VISE.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
The bigger question is, what is your intent with this vise? To hold small metal parts for drilling, or to hold a gunstock for drill cross pins, tang screws, etc?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
TOM, I need a vise that is able to hold the barrel, stock, and stock with barrel together for pinning, drilling lock bolt holes, drilling tang bolts,drum hole,ect.

thanks in advance,

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
Get some Irwin Quick Grip clamps, a pattern maker’s vise, and a drill guide from Dave Rase.  This is a much better setup than a drill press.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:26 AM »
I've got to agree with Joe s. on this one. I have one of Snyders's drill guides, and I now hardly use my drill press. If you have a hand drill with a level bubble on it this works well also.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
For barrel pins, I've used both the Dave Rase drill guide, and a milling machine/drill press vise.

If you have a drill press, a good vise will be very handy. Most drill press vises have shallow jaws. Milling vises oft have a deeper jaw. Mine are 1 3/4" deep x 6" wide, I would guess a minimum jaw would be 1 1/4 tall. This is good for drilling thru barrel lugs and thimble pins. Or, use Dave Rase's drill guide.

Now, if you had a Dave Rase guide that had body and tap drill bushings, you could do lock bolts and tang screws.

For tang and lock bolts, I use a drill press, with a table-mounted point centered directly under the drill spindle. I make a center punch mark on the barrel tang and the trigger plate, set the gun on the point, and using a tap size drill, drill down thru the tang toward the trigger plate. Flip the gun over, set on the center, and drill thru from the trigger plate toward the tang. The holes meet in the middle somewhere. Then drill from tang toward trigger plate with a BODY size drill. Stop before you hit the trigger plate. Run a tap down thru, by hand, please, until it exits the trigger plate.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
Now, if you had a Dave Rase guide that had body and tap drill bushings, you could do lock bolts and tang screws.

Oops.  I didn’t know I couldn’t use Dave’s jig for drilling lock bolts and tang screws, so that’s what I’ve been doing.  I drill a pilot hole with the 1/8” bit, then enlarge the hole with a hand drill.  If you enlarge in small steps, there’s no problem with hole drift.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
I found a thread with pictures and circles and arrows...

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4130.0
Hold to the Wind

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
Thanks Guys, I guess no one builds their own anymore . 
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:53 AM »
Thanks Guys, I guess no one builds their own anymore . 
and why not?  The more pics I can see the easier it is for me to replicate a tool or adapt what i have into suitable tools.  The pics in the other thread, with the exception of the missing photos, all illustrate jiggeries the boys keep referring to.

i'm all for building your own.  I look at others' before I build mine usually.
Hold to the Wind