Author Topic: rifle - additional photos added  (Read 20294 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Re: rifle
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
You excell in excellence. Thats a redneck tryin to say ya did big real fancy like ;D. I love the carving and everything on this flinter just says aahhhh
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
We can call it..... "Kibler's South Beach Gun"!! 

A very nice piece of art that celebrates the the American Long Rifle tradition.  Nice eye Jim!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »
Jim, your carving reminds me of the gentle waves of water on the beech. Right at the edge of the shore. It really flows across the stocks surface. Very nice! I too am interested in the take down features of this great piece. I've seen a few originals with this feature but have never had an opportunity to examine closely.
Joel Hall

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Very fine rifle. I like it a lot.

I sure would appreciate a tutorial on how you get the highlighting on that finish.

Muggsy1776

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!  I like the flow of the carving- almost wind blown in appearance.  That sems to tie in to how you obtained the wood. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
Well, I can put one fantasy to rest. I've always wondered what would happen when art deco was applied to a rifle. I do a lot of Greene & Greene style furniture, and I think I see their influence here too. Got a bit of "cloud lift" in the carving.

Pear was a great choice for this carving. Amazing color too. Drool!  :o
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
Thanks everybody for the nice response.  After looking at a gun for a while, I'm not always sure whether it's a success or failure.  For whatever reason, when I design stuff myself without any direct influence it often tends to have sort of an art deco appearance.  Just sort of happens sometimes.  I've been trying to make a conscious effort to approach the design of guns from more of the perspective of a entire object lately and I think it pays off.  In the past I've found it's easy to focus on individual design elements and not giving the whole object the proper consideration.  

As to the length of the box lid, I'm not really sure.  It just looked good, so that is what I made it.  I've looked at lots of originals and over time this provides sort of a guide without consciously thinking about it.

The darkening of areas of the stock was done primarily with bone black, and maybe a touch of transtint dyes as well.  Sometimes the boneblack looks a little better if it's combined with oil containing some warmer tones in my view.  Seems to take the harshness of the black away. So like I said it's mainly just bone black (sold as drop black pigment) mixed with finish.  It's easier to get color by starting the darkening process early in the finishing.  If you finish the gun and then try to darken it doesn't work nearly so well.  Hope this helps a little bit.  Seems I've described the process before on here.  A search might help too.  

I'll try to get some additional photos.  It would be nice to show it "taken down" since that feature is pretty unusual.

I might add that this rifle is for sale.  Check the "for sale" section of this site for a listing.  

Thanks again guys.  If you think I can help, just ask.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:52:14 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:00 AM »
Yeah late to the party ,but...
I see more Chinese and Japanese influence in the carving than art deco.
Not much stock carving has had a profound an visereal response as this did.
This shows real creativity as a contemporary work in a traditional art form .
I love it .
Working in pear...Impressive.     

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Very nice rifle Jim. Do you have any pictures of the joint at the take down? I thought the wood was cherry before I read that it was pear. I like the carving.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:13 AM »
Here are some of the additional photos that were requested.  Someone asked about how it shot...  Don't know yet.  Today would have been a good day to test it out, but had other things going on.  It was over 60 degrees here in northeastern Ohio!  Thanks again for the nice comments.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: rifle - additional photos added
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »
Hi Jim,
Wonderful piece.  Thanks for the extra photos.  Your engraving is spot on.  Of course, since it is a take-down stock, you have to build a case.  ;)

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 02:16:35 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post more pictures. I like it even more than before. Great job

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:48 AM »
now wait a danged minute, if he builds a case, then i'm just not going to be able to buy it.   ;) 

brilliant piece, even in pieces.
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »
Jim, I can't believe that no one has asked:  caliber, whose bbl., LOP, weight, bbl. length.  Those of us who are shooters as well as art collectors would like to know.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »
Boy - o - boy, she sure aint no CVA. So profesional,sleek, downright sexy. Everything about the gun outstanding.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 03:11:30 AM »
Jim, I can't believe that no one has asked:  caliber, whose bbl., LOP, weight, bbl. length.  Those of us who are shooters as well as art collectors would like to know.

I personaly was so blown away by the piece to the point I couldn't think to ask! And the extra picture's? I am now catatonic
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22:24 AM »

It's a 54 caliber and has an Ed Rayl barrel.  The barrel is patterned after the "woodsrunner" rifle barrel.  That is, the rifle with trade gun characterists that Wallace attributed to Shenandoaha county, Va.  It has a breech around 1.100" a small of about .750" and a muzzle of just around .800" if I remember correctly.  The length is 43".  This is about my favorite barrrel profile.  The length of pull is 13 5/8" and the weight is 7 3/4 pounds.  Not a chance for a case!  This gun is a thing of the past and I'm on to other projects.  All it needs now is a new home. ;)  Thanks once again.

Jim   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
The best thing I can say about that rifle is that it is a "neat" piece of work with all the meanings of that word. :)

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 05:05:27 AM »
Couple things to note for newer builders. Look how closely the wood between the barrel tang and lock/sidpleate panels follows the oblique flats of the barrel at the breech, and notice the thin profile of the wood patchbow lid from the overhead view. Just a few things among others.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
Jim,

To follow up on Taylor's questions, how were the wood and metal finished on this lovely rifle?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
To get the lock  so low did you place the touch hole lower? The location look perfect to my eye but I always have a hard tme getting them that low.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
The wood was colored a little bit by adding some Transtint dye to the oil finish.  This pear tended to being a little on the brown side and to warm it up a little I used some "honey amber" color.  I experimented on some scraps and found the color was less splotchy by tinting the oil rather than dying the stock directly.  I finished with Tried and True Oil Varnish.  This has become my favorte finish.  It's more of a challenge in the Winter though, since sunlight really helps it dry.  I think one day in good sun is equivalent to maybe a week or two without it!  I did darken some of the low spots on the stock, but mentioned the basic process in an earlier post in this thread.  The brightness of the new metal was taken off by using some stuff sold as "brass darkening solution".  Think I've mentioned this stuff before. 

As to the lock position, the touch hole is below centerline on the barrel.  The barrel is decent sized also so this helps.  Think it's about 1.100" at the breech.  The forward screw is relatively centered in the forward part of the lock.  The thin forestock also likely impacts the appearance of lock position.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
That rifle is definitely out of the ordinary.  It is extremely attractive and the work is impeccable.  Unless this question has already been answered, Where did the inspiration for the design  originate?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »
There are times when I don't really have a big master plan worked out prior to building a gun, but rather just sort of work things out as I go.  This was one of those cases.  Not really sure there was too much inspiration.  Just wanted to try to make something with appeal.

Online Maalsral

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
I thought I would bump this back to the top to give those who missed it a chance to see it as well as those who would like to take another look.  This is truly a beautiful rifle.
Mark Thomas