Author Topic: Custom Rice Barrels  (Read 10063 times)

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Custom Rice Barrels
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Does anyone remember the spec's on the custom 46" Rice barrels that EK had bulk ordered a few months back.

Also, are there any still available??
In His grip,

Dane

billd

Re: Custom Rice Barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »
They were B and C weight, 50 and 54. I talked to Fred Miller Saturday and he mentioned he just got a 54 last week. He showed it to me already inlet into a blank.  They may be making another run of them. It would be worth a call.

Bill

billd

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
Also, Dixon's had two .54 c's three Saturdays ago.

Bill

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »
Dane,
I have forgotten the dimensions but I know that they will be making more. Give Jason or Liston a call at (828)628-3627. They will give you the skinny on the dimensions and when they will be making another batch.

Also, Ed Rayl will make one to your spec's for about the same price as Rice's 46". I had Ed make a 46.5" X .54 cal that is 1.20" at the breech, quick taper to 1" @ 6" from the breech, 825 in the mid section, .875 at the muzzle. The profile is from an original VA rifle owned by Reaves Gohering. 7 furrows with radius rifling. Neat looking barrel for an early rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 06:06:16 AM »
I just completed inletting one for a member of our board.  The barrel was 46" long .50 caliber.  The breech was 1", the muzzle was .812 and the waist at the smallest diameter was .750".  The gentlemen is going to build an Allentown style rifle and that barrel really looks sweet in the piece of wood.  After seeing the results first hand I am going to have to order one for myself when Rice decides to make another run.
DMR

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »
Hi David...thanks for the measurements seeing I didn't mike it before sending it to you and it'll make up into a very slender Bucks County LR. The non-exagerated swamp really looks nice and the balance should be superb and seeing you put the RR groove and hole pretty close to the bbl inlet, that should also help w/ thinning it down. I'll  just have have to order another and start on the  Rupp Lehigh......Fred
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:32:04 AM by flehto »

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
David,

That's the exact barrel that I'm looking for, and the style of gun that it would be going in.

Working on another H Rupp, and thought this barrel would be real close to the original configuration.

So practice up, I'm going to send another one your way.

In His grip,

Dane

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
seems like a few h.rupp lehighs are gonna be built this new year.so dave i will probably be shipping my stuff off to you for inletting also.

Bentflint

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
I talked to Rice last week and he is working on them right now. Call and you will get one in a few weeks. He will be making another run in the spring in time for Friendship.

Bruce Everhart

Offline Chris in Washington

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:56:12 AM »
Anyone know if they are doing a .40 cal in the B weight... I was thing of a Southern Mountain  poor boy squirrel gun.

Thanks
Chris
Chris Statz

Bentflint

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
Not right now, I ask about them. I was told maybe later on the .40. At this time only B .50s and C .54s.

Bruce Everhart

Offline Chris in Washington

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »
Thanks Bruce

Let's hope they add the .40 cal in on the spring run before Friendship.

Chris
Chris Statz

Offline David Rase

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
I just got off the phone with Jason this morning.  He said they just completed making making a run of 46" swamps both in 1" & 1 1/6" at the breech.  He told me they have about a dozen in stock now, minus the 1 inch breeched .50 caliber I ordered.  ;D
DMR

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
I just received an early Virginia rifle made by Mike Miller that has one of these barrels in 50 caliber.  I have not yet fired more than a few shots but it seems to be a Great! barrel. (and Mike made a Great! rifle)

billd

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
I asked Jason about smaller calibers also. He told me that when their tooling wears out and needs replacing it will be with longer drills and reamers so they can offer longer barrels. Just to buy them now would be cost prohibitve. He told me to check back from time to time. Who knows, maybe they'll break a .40 drill today!!!!!

Bill

J Shingler

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
I have the Rice 54 C profile. It has been inlet by Fred Miller into a really nice Freddy Harrison piece of walnut. Just have to finish this wall gun before that project. If anyone is interested in the exact dim. I could measure it for you.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
Just received my 46" .50 caliber b weight barrel yesterday afternoon.  If I wasn't married I probably would of slept with it last night.  It is a beautiful barrel.
DMR

J Shingler

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 07:03:56 AM »
They sure are! I did not have mine overnight. Went right to Fred to pare it up with a pc of Freddies walnut.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Just received my 46" .50 caliber b weight barrel yesterday afternoon.  If I wasn't married I probably would of slept with it last night.  It is a beautiful barrel.
DMR
I have one also and it is a nice one. Can't wait to start a new project using that barrel.

J Shingler

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
Can't wait to start a new project using that barrel.

Yea me either Charlie, my  problem is it is the third project in line!

Offline sonny

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
yea......pretty!.......but do they shoot?..sonny

Offline t.caster

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
Sonny, no need to question the accuracy of Rice Barrels! They will shoot as well as anything out there!
The bigger question should be....can the shooter shoot?
Tom C.

J Shingler

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
I second that I have only used one so far but no problems with accuracy! The part I also like is the shorter breach plug threads. I think mine were .550 long. Makes the lock positioning more apealing.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Check the record books at Friendship. The Marsh boys hold numerous offhand records and they are using Rice Barrels.