Author Topic: French Grenadier  (Read 4551 times)

Offline alex e.

French Grenadier
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:24:21 AM »
Well, after attempting to Contact a well known manufacturer of Fusils in western NY state, And with help from Redwolf,and not being able to obtain parts for a fusil anytime soon, I said "heck with it ,I'll make it my self"

This is what I came up with:Not a copy of any particular model per say.But one resembling the "grenadier"or "common" musket of the early 1700's, I gave it the appearence of a fusil that had been in New France for quite a while,repaired buttplate/sling swivels, & a refitted bayonet from a latter model.The stock is hand scraped,as well as aged with wear marks,dinks & dents,as the iron also.
 I don't think it turned out bad,but theres something that just doesn't  "do it" for me.
Alex...

Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: French Grenadier
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
Hey Alex,
   I don't know what about it doesn't "do it" for you, but I think you've made a great interpretation of an early Grenadier or Naval musket.  Your stock shaping and lock choice are fine, and your use of the ring and barrel band are good too.  The early French muskets vary a lot between makers, and it seems that guns of the same year and pattern often don't match at all.  I'm working on a New England fowler, but with more French style architecture at the moment.  You don't see many arms of this style being produced, so it's nice to see yours.  What are the barrel specs and what's it weigh?  Thanks for sharing!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
theres something that just doesn't  "do it" for me.

Something it doesn't do? Would that be shoot? French guns weren't made for shooting. They were made for dropping on the ground before the bearer runs away. ;D

Looks like it does well, being thrown on the ground, dings, boogers and all.  ;)

Nice work though.

God Bless,
J.D.

George F.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
OH MY GOD!!!...Look who chimed in.  Nice to hear from ya.
 Back to the Fusil. Looks good. Has that used look. Which I'm sure they were. What exactly don't you like about it?      ...Gero.    sorry fat fingers     ...Geo.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:05:15 PM »
It works for me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
 Tres-bonne,  mon ami!    Or, ya done good Alex.....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 04:04:24 AM »
I appreciate the kind comments.Its nice to see Eric still  exists ;)

I guess what did not "do it" for me   was at the end of it all.Usually when I complete a project there is some type of emotion: happy,i like it,i did this or that wrong,glad its done,never again, ect..  It was just anti climatic.I was not sure about a few features,as good info on such guns is hard to find.A few people offered up some good pictures & I thank them for that. I really had no idea how the end result would be. Judging from the responses Ive received I feel better about it.
Thanks again for the positive words,It helps :)
I already have refinements for the next one in the back of my mind ;)

Alex E..
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

I already have refinements for the next one in the back of my mind ;)

Alex E..

More scars, dings, and scratches to simulate a gun thrown down in panic? ;)

Just joking. I reenact an American militiaman of the F&I period and have a "thing" about frenchmen and their guns.   ;D

That is actually a very nice piece. Since there is little information on this type of firelock, you should be proud of your accomplishment in doing such nice work in recreating a rare,  historic piece.

God bless,
J.D.