Author Topic: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire  (Read 85732 times)

Dean2

If you had 10,000 to spend on having an American Syle longrifle of the late flintlock era, say 1820 or so, who would you pick to build the rifle for you. If from a kit, who's kit, if from scratch would that change your choice of builder? Look forward to your thoughts.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »
Hi Dean,
There are many great builders and many are members of this forum.  A lot also depends on the style of gun you might like.  Given my personal tastes, if I had 10k with which to purchase a gun, I would let Jim Kibler build whatever he desires and buy it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:48:55 AM »
Hard to do a short list. Comes to mind Allen Martin and Mark Wheland easterners, Dave Rase and Ron Scott westerners, and Brent Gurtek in the middle for his underhammers.

I'm of the belief that there are more master-quality muzzleloader makers today than at any time in US history. No question. :o
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Habu

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:54 AM »
Ten grand to spend on a new-production rifle? 

When I was a kid, I had access to a Nicholas Beyer rifle that is one of my favorite rifles.  I'd spend some of the money to locate and document or borrow that rifle to use as a basis for the build, but as the rifle was new rather than in the current condition. 

If working from a kit, I'd go with one of Mr. Klein's Beck kits and have him do the work.  If from scratch, I'd contact Louie Parker, Dan Phariss, or Dave Rase. 

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:22:43 AM »
Chuck Edwards, Jim Kibler, An 8 or 10 more that I cant think of now
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13:18 AM »
All the above are great builders, but one name you don't hear about much is Mike Gahagan.  I consider him to easily be one of the top five makers working today.  Ten grand would get you a true masterpiece from Mike.

Offline heinz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:32:56 AM »
Ian Pratt, Jim Kibler, Frank House.  I might need to throw in the car for Frank.
kind regards, heinz

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:20 AM »
Absolutely, with out a doubt........ Allen Martin!!!  Once you've handled one of his, you'll get it.  A certain warmth, character, and craftsmanship that's nearly impossible to match.  Give him a general idea, and let him do the rest.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:41:25 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »
I believe master Chambers is being very modest here - he makes beautiful long rifles. Other than that I'll not name anyone on the site here but there are many whom I admire for their great skills.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »
Ian Pratt, Jim Kibler, Frank House.  I might need to throw in the car for Frank.
Funny seeing Jim Kibler bookended by those two masters of iron.  ;D

I like Ian's work and my wife one of his biggest fans.  There are several other builders that I admire too including some that have been named already.  I'll add Bill Shipman to the list.  I don't know exactly how to put his work into words other than to say everything he does just seem "right".

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
I noticed the topic was LATE FLINTLOCK period.  Bill Shipman and Taylor Sapergia come to mind for fine rifles closely modeled after originals.  Ian Pratt for something with more artistic license especially in iron.  Eric Kettenberg for an aged Northampton rifle.  For something really fancy a Brennan though $10K might not get it done.  Some makers who are retired or rarely build really appeal to me.  Would love to have a Freddy Harrison rifle with all the little surprises.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
Besides all those great makers mentioned...
I'd try to buy one like this from George Potter
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/10/george-potter.html
but I have doubts that 10k would do it.
tca
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:01 AM »
My choice would be based on type of rifle i was interested in at given time!!!! Tough choice, Makers I've admired are Bob Harn, Randy Sherman & Allen Martin.....
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:46 AM »
Well here is a nice pistol I like by Nate McKenzie

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/01/upper-susquehanna-style-pistol-by-nate.html

I would love a gun by any mentioned above, or Mike Brooks, Jerry Huddleston or Hugh Tjoenes (these last two would not even be close to $10,000, but they build some beautiful high art guns.
Oh. and don't lets not forget Cody Tetachuk!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:29:19 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:53 AM »
I'm the sort who'd pick someone whose name i know from the halls of this here forum.

Just because those guys are giving back in a way that we can all participate.  This is not to say that there aren't wonderful builders out there doing the same in more traditional ways or formats or venues.  Nothing against them, they are there and i am here.

As important to me as the technical aspects of a build, for a build of that "caliber", is to be able to hold a conversation or two with the builder and feel the right vibe.  I'm odd that way.  But then we all have our odd ways.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dave R

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »
My choices, H House, Marv Kemper or Ian Pratt!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
not sure if Brad Emig could for $10,000...
would be my choice
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
No disrespect to the makers already listed, but I'd have to go back in time a little bit and find a rifle by John Bivens. John lived nearby and was my "hero" builder, but I was never able to scrape together the funds to get him to make one for me. Now it's too late. But I'd still consider him a Modern Maker and one of the best ever.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
There is much to admire. Can't name names without leaving people out. This list is pretty long.   We are living in another Golden Age.
It never ceases to amaze me how many good makers there are.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:07 AM »
I agree with Dan on the many to admire list and trying to choose amongst them Having said that, I have to give credit to William C. Young for mentoring my builds for 35 years or so. Historical knowledge, right tool know how and eye for the small finishing details may get into my efforts yet.

Ray

LehighBrad

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:14 AM »
Every name mentioned so far I'd be proud to own a rifle from them. Asking the "who do you admire" question is like asking an exotic car collector which car do I like the most. Let's see...hmmm....should I take the Lamborgini out for a spin, or the Bugotti Veyron, the Lotus, or the Jaguar XJ7, the Pantera or the Ferrari.  Get it? ;) And ya can't even shoot fresh venison with any of those "toys"!  ;D

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:27 AM »
I'd have Eric Kettenburg or Allen Martin build me a lehigh or go for one of Ian Pratt's iron maidens for something different..or maybe a Nicholas Hawk from Bill Shipman. So many quality builders out there today that I haven't seen much of their work.

Dean2

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
I found the variety of builders and answers provided to be tremendously interesting and educational. To be honest I had expected a lot more commonality and consistency in the answers. There were over 28 separate names provide.  The builders with the most recommendations or mentions were Allan Martin at 5, Ian Pratt at 5 and Jim Kibbler at 3.

Kermit made the comment that he thinks there may be more talented Flintlock builders alive today than when they were originally built and after seeing all these recommendations I think I agree with him.

Since very few people have $10,000 to spend on a gun I am going to post the same topic with $2,500 as the target price. I am sure this will reduce the field considerably.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:18:17 PM by Dean2 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
I wouldn't have anyone build me a late flint gun, I just have no intrest in them. If I had my choice and alot more than 10K I'd have Ken Gahagan build some sort of NE fowler he was excited about, Ken netting would build his version of a NE fowler, Eric K would build what ever he liked, A Martin would build me a lehigh and Mark Silver would build a nice 1760's style English gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »
I would second Mike's choice of Mark Silver. I recieved an Antes style longrifle from Mark at Friendship this past June it is everything I hoped for and more. I really enjoyed working with Mark in deciding the details of the rifle. It is not a documentery copy but built in the same style as the Antes in the Moravian book. If it wasn't so danged hard to post pictures I'd post pics of the rifle. Can't say enough nice things about Mark and his work. Tim Cosby