Author Topic: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire  (Read 85779 times)

n stephenson

Re: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2017, 01:52:27 AM »
You better believe you can Mike!! If  I`ve got enough left out of  that ten grand , I`ll get us some of those little rooftop solar panels and, we`ll have all the luxuries of home. We can fish and explore and do all the stuff  Tom and Huck  did. Heck , if you want to we`ll build a raft and float down to New Orleans , stopping all along the way creating mischief and, bedlam . If  interested shoot me a PM .      Nate

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
Mr. Chambers, I would very much like to see that Edward Marshall rifle when you are done. Are there any areas that you slim down or is the kit /stock pretty much as per the original ?   I have had my Edward Marshall [ .62 cal built from one of your kits ]  for a number of years now, and it is my bear and moose gun.  It is spectacular  :)

Bob, this post is for you...

Click pics for larger images.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:34:27 AM by Martin S. »

Ric27

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »
I found the variety of builders and answers provided to be tremendously interesting and educational. To be honest I had expected a lot more commonality and consistency in the answers. There were over 28 separate names provide.  The builders with the most recommendations or mentions were Allan Martin at 5, Ian Pratt at 5 and Jim Kibbler at 3.

Kermit made the comment that he thinks there may be more talented Flintlock builders alive today than when they were originally built and after seeing all these recommendations I think I agree with him.

Since very few people have $10,000 to spend on a gun I am going to post the same topic with $2,500 as the target price. I am sure this will reduce the field considerably.

Did you leave out a zero?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »
  Just a thought but the amount you pay. Does not enhance the quality of the workmanship.
  Have seen quite a few new craftsman that are building high end firearms. But don't have the reputation of the better known builders.
   My comments are not to pick at anyone. Just that I admire there quality of craftsmanship. JMHO. Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:13 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Everybody has a particular style of gun that they like, so they tend to admire builders who create that style gun....all mentioned are top notch.....That being said,... I happen to have a deep appreciation for  upper East Tennessee style LongRifles ..... In my opinion, JIM PARKER in Alabama builds a recreation of a Charles Bean rifle that even Old Charlie would be proud of..... !!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
;D ;D ;D... Everybody has a particular style of gun that they like, so they tend to admire builders who create that style gun....all mentioned are top notch.....That being said,... I happen to have a deep appreciation for  upper East Tennessee style LongRifles ..... In my opinion, JIM PARKER in Alabama builds a recreation of a Charles Bean rifle that even Old Charlie would be proud of..... !!!

Yep, Jim does a nice job with those!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
OK, if I were to order a contemporary longrifle, I'd have Chris Laubach build it.  Totally handmade.   
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2017, 02:49:42 AM »
 After returning from the CLA show an really studying every gun style/school/ builder's. It's got to be a North Carolina or a Soddy for me.
  Their not fancy, just great lines an very practical. The builder Jack Duprey yep we're friends but none the less. They just appeal to me. The way he builds them an the finish he puts on them. IMHO   Oldtravler

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2017, 03:26:06 AM »
This is such a tough topic, as someone's self-image is going to get hurt if they are left out.  I saw a self-described "unknown" in the Main Hall of the CLA show near the front door name Gus.  I did not catch his last name, but he made some fine rifles.  I was partial to a Beck's that he had in his four rifle display.  There are some talented people out there!   God Bless, and best wishes,  Marc

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
 8) 8)... Agree, Mike... Jack builds fine recreation of Soddy, and any Tennessee rifle for that matter ....hopefully one day I shall own one too .... Jerry Eitner is also a builder whose work I admire .... Also, kinda afraid to say this, because his price might go up if he becomes "famous".. .is a young man I met at the show ...Cody Yoho ....his "Woodbury" school rifle equals any the "old masters" make .... !!!

Offline gusd

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
Marcruger, Thank you for the kind words! I had many people interested in that Beck.I bought a table
to have a place to sit, talk and support the CLA.  It was a great time! My name is Gus DellaGhelfa
Known here as gusd  :D

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »
  Cades your correct. That young fella made one dandy of a rifle. Oldtravler

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2017, 02:39:54 AM »
Hi Gus,

"Marcruger, Thank you for the kind words! I had many people interested in that Beck.I bought a table
to have a place to sit, talk and support the CLA.  It was a great time! My name is Gus DellaGhelfa
Known here as gusd  :D"

I enjoyed meeting you, and thank you for posting so I know where you are.  I left the show and drove home thinking about that fine work you did on the Beck. 

A favor, could you share some photos of that rifle in a post and tell us some about it? 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline gusd

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
Marcruger,  I take terrible photos , will try at some point to get pics.
gusd

Offline Dave R

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
Anybody see Marvin Kempers latest builds at the CLA show?? FABULOUS!! His John Small recreations are spot on!! He's also a courteous  humble gentleman!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
  Marvin is an excellent builder. Yes he is a very humble individual. Who will answer any question you have.
  Wished I had that man's talent... Oldtravler

Dean2

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
I found the variety of builders and answers provided to be tremendously interesting and educational. To be honest I had expected a lot more commonality and consistency in the answers. There were over 28 separate names provide.  The builders with the most recommendations or mentions were Allan Martin at 5, Ian Pratt at 5 and Jim Kibbler at 3.

Kermit made the comment that he thinks there may be more talented Flintlock builders alive today than when they were originally built and after seeing all these recommendations I think I agree with him.

Since very few people have $10,000 to spend on a gun I am going to post the same topic with $2,500 as the target price. I am sure this will reduce the field considerably.

Did you leave out a zero?

Nope, figured by reducing the price to only $2500 there would be a lot less people who build nice guns in that low a price range. Turned out I was right, there were far fewer recommended builders.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2018, 04:17:03 AM »
  Nope I thank your wrong. Because a lot of the builders that have been named would probably build a rifle or Fowler in that range. Just with less adornments.
  Like I said earlier. The price you pay doesn't guaranty quality of build.
  But the one's that were named put pride in their work. That's what your paying for...imho
  That's why they are in demand

Offline kudu

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
Im from Michigan Joe Valentine builds a nice gun.

Wallace Gusler tops my list.

Dean2

« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=47084.0

This fellow didn't show up in the recommended list but based on these pictures of his work, would definitely say he should be in the running.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:25:04 PM by Dean2 »

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2018, 09:05:46 PM »
Fascinating how long this thread has been going on - lots of contemporary long rifle builders!

For me, I really like the embellished rifle that Dean2 recently posted.  It has a style all it's own - with the silver taking place instead of carving.  For me, the design "flows".

But, naming names for the $10K rifle, maybe Don Getz, Kimbler, or perhaps DaveC2 - believe his last name is Curriccio, but I'm not good with Italian.

All three of these pay great attention to detail, both with the architecture of the piece, and with the execution of the plan.  Finishes are top-notch work, and I would love to have a rifle built by any of the three.

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Anyone who can build a decent shooting plus decent looking flintlock has my admiration.  I consider it akin to alchemy, myself.  Got to admit we have a few great ones on this forum.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »
Hi Craig,
The rifle Dean2 shows was built by Hugh Toenjes who is a member on this forum.  I believe Muzzleblasts has or will shortly be featuring that gun in an article.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2018, 03:06:17 AM »
While I agree with Dan(1st or second page) to some extent, I would agree wholeheartedly with Rick Pierce. I would likely choose Bill Shipman or my Bro to build me that $10,000.00 rifle.
I want carving, incised or raised, whichever is proper to the rifle and period chosen not just elaborate inlays, pre 1815 would be just perfect.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
Hmmmm

Yes, this was edited by a moderator.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:27:41 PM by rich pierce »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?