Author Topic: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire  (Read 85553 times)

Offline Don Getz

Re: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
54 Bucks........The term "kit" is kind of a universal term.   Did you know that most of the guns built by John Bivins were made
from a "kit".   He did all of the pattern work for it so that does make it a little more proper.   I was happy to see that you
liked the "Dunlap" Isaac Haines  kit since it was the first kit we developed in conjunction with Bob Lepley, the stock carver.
We have also done some stock patterns for other rifles.   I have built over 50 rifles from a generic Lancaster pattern that we
developed.......butt shape and a 44" swamped barrel inlet.  It requires a lot of gunbuilding to do even one of these, but, when
looking at the finished gun, who knowns how the wood was removed........Don

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »
This is like asking who is the best guitar player in the world? I guess it depends on your taste in music.

Personally I would like to thank the guys that kept it from becoming an extinct art form. The gun makers, lock makers, barrel makers. etc., etc,. etc.

We all have our own tastes, but without the guys that kept it going, a number of us would not be shooting these wonderful guns.

There are in music, as in gun building, a number of fantastically gifted artists that will never be heard or seen.

'Just Sayin'
Centershot

Offline Mick C

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
If you had 10,000 to spend on having an American Syle longrifle of the late flintlock era, say 1820 or so, who would you pick to build the rifle for you. If from a kit, who's kit, if from scratch would that change your choice of builder? Look forward to your thoughts.

That's a tough question! But, the first few that come to my mind are David Dodds (though Mr. Dodds passed away a couple of years ago, I have a empty place in my collection reserved for one of his amazing Reading School rifles), Alan Martin, Jim Kibler, Mike Brooks, Fred Letho.  I think the 10K limit might omit Jud Brennan, Mark Silver, and most probably the House brothers.   And I know there are others of who, that as soon as I hit 'post', I will think.  To them I apologize ahead of time......Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »
MickC
You can add Mark Silver to the list. He will build you nice rifle for less than 10 grand. Now if you get fancy the price goes up. Tim

Vhntr1

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
I have been lucky over the past few years ,I picked up a Louie Parker rifle at a auction house in my area and recently I picked up a Jud brennan rifle that he built in1977 .I have dreamed of having a House rifle but I dont think that will ever happen but it does not hurt to dream a bit.

Dean2

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
MickC
You can add Mark Silver to the list. He will build you nice rifle for less than 10 grand. Now if you get fancy the price goes up. Tim

I recently saw some pictures of a fowler he built. You are right, he does VERY nice work. Not only is the architecture of his guns very nice, his carving and engraving is truly first class.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:54:53 PM by Dean2 »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »
Bottom line is, ITS HIS gun. He bought and he'll do what he wants with it. Look on Gunbroker or Auction Arms web sites and look under Second or Third Generation Colt percussion revolvers, 99% of them are still in their original boxes, never been cocked, never been fired and barely been out of their boxes. People bought them to collect and that's it.

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
This has been a great thread. I fell in love with these rifles at the same time that the thread was started. Being new to custom build rifles, it gave me a starting point for researching the works of various builders. I have since commissioned builds from a number of the highly regarded individuals mentioned in the above posts. I did find that the best work from many requires multiples of the 10K$ figure. Even at that it can be difficult to commission work from some.

Wolfgang

Offline KC

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
This thread was an interesting read. Of course, a big percentage of you could probably build your own $10,000 gun. That's kind of what I like about this forum, I've gotten free advice from people whose guns I could probably never hope to own. I think if I had $10,000 to spend, as a beginner, I would probably enroll in some of the building classes at the upcoming NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar and find out for sure if I'm cut out for gun building. If it went well, I might build my own $10,000 gun. If it didn't work out so well, I think I would do what Kopfjaeger said and see if I could get Hershel House to build me a smaller caliber iron mounted squirrel rifle and let him take it from there.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
My favorites are the ones who truly enjoy what they do. Those that take the time an willing to teach an show other builders the art of keeping this alive. To name a few  ,Richard King,Mike Miller,Greg Miller, Mr Preddy.  They all make excellent rifles. But of course the House brothers,Ian Pratt. Ed Wenger Allen Martin and so many others. All of these I got to handle their guns over time. So who ever you pick you can't go wrong.

ricktull

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »
I'd go with an Allen Martin

Offline mikeo

• Starting Member
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2015, 02:29:56 AM »
I like the Soddy-Daisy rifles so I would have to go with Jack DuPrey, I guess for 10K I could own several.

mikeo
mikeo

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2015, 04:59:30 AM »
I'm with you minor. He makes a fine rifle.imho

Offline Mick C

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:54 PM »
If you had 10,000 to spend on having an American Syle longrifle of the late flintlock era, say 1820 or so, who would you pick to build the rifle for you. If from a kit, who's kit, if from scratch would that change your choice of builder? Look forward to your thoughts.

Don't forget Jim Chambers.  Although he is noted for his locks, he is a truly amazing rifle maker.  He studied under and worked with John Bivens and his work shows it too.....,just my 2 cents, Mick 
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Dean2

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
Don't forget Jim Chambers.  Although he is noted for his locks, he is a truly amazing rifle maker.  He studied under and worked with John Bivens and his work shows it too.....,just my 2 cents, Mick 

Haven't been on here for quite a while, this suggestion surprised me. I love Chamgber's locks so I think I may contact him and see if he is still building full rifles.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:36 PM »
Believe it or not, yes, I am still building rifles and hopefully will be until I die.  As a matter of fact, I have been assembling one of the Edward Marshall kits that someone returned for a refund after he discovered he discovered he was in over his head.  I had planned on bringing it to the Lewisburg show as an "assembled in the white" gun for sale.  But, just yesterday someone called and wanted me to completely finish it for him with some carving.  I still have the fancy Lancaster rifle I did as a winter project a couple of years ago.  It is still for sale.
Jim

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »
Mr. Chambers, I would very much like to see that Edward Marshall rifle when you are done. Are there any areas that you slim down or is the kit /stock pretty much as per the original ?   I have had my Edward Marshall [ .62 cal built from one of your kits ]  for a number of years now, and it is my bear and moose gun.  It is spectacular  :)

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
I'd like to see it too! ;)

But I am not trying to rush you with the project.

Quality takes time.

Martin

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2017, 03:29:47 AM »
If I can cheat a tad on the thread I would do an early Lancaster , nice but not too fancy in .52 cal and would have Mr. Chambers build it .

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:13 AM »
There are lots of guys here that do amazing work. But even with a $10,000 budget I would not buy a gun from any of them. I would spend the money on gun parts instead and build myself. Not likely that I will ever buy another muzzleloader. I enjoy building a nice gun a lot more than just having one.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
Alright I didn't read every post so I don't know if he got a mention but, Ron Luckenbill.  He has made some very nice bench reproductions of historic guns he has had access to and the gentleman is good enough to share his knowledge with us mere mortals. Made the "Revenant" rifles for DiCaprio.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2017, 11:04:26 PM »
Eric Kettenburg.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:13 AM »
There is just a lot of very talented people out there. That can an will build an extraordinary firearm. The 10000 dollar figure is fine. But there are a number of builder's on hear that do exemplary work an charge a third of that price. There work is up there with the best of them..! JMHO...Oldtravler

n stephenson

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
If I had 10 grand for a rifle , I`d buy a Kibler kit with plain wood. I`d send it to Mike Brooks to get it put in the white and have him beat the $#*! out of it , Then I`d send it down to my buddy Jack Garner to get finish put on it. I`d take the rest of the money and buy a used bread truck off Craigslist and a gallon of "shine" from Hickman county . I`d park the bread truck down  by the river and establish a summer home, this would be my base of operations. When the fishermen would come down I`d show them my rifle and say " look at what I built"   when the pretty girls came down I`d ask them " wanna go on a boat wide" .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:12:23 PM by n stephenson »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »
If I had 10 grand for a rifle , I`d buy a Kibler kit with plain wood. I`d send it to Mike Brooks to get it put in the white and have him beat the $#*! out of it , Then I`d send it down to my buddy Jack Garner to get finish put on it. I`d take the rest of the money and buy a used bread truck off Craigslist and a gallon of "shine" from Hickman county . I`d park the bread truck down  by the river and establish a summer home, this would be my base of operations. When the fishermen would come down I`d show them my rifle and say " look at what I built"   when the pretty girls came down I`d ask them " wanna go on a boat wide" .
Sounds like a plan. Can I park my bread truck next to yours? I've always hoped to live in a bread truck down by the river..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?