Author Topic: Chickamauga Battlefield  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

Chickamauga Battlefield
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:53:19 AM »
I was at the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center and saw a rifle in the Fuller Collection that was marked as a PA longrifle by an unknown maker. This rifle appeared to me to be a Bonewitz made rifle as it had his style to the buttstock and patchbox finial. Sorry I can't post pics at this point as I am on my laptop and dont have the ability to work with  RAW on it.  Has anyone seen this rifle or have more info. on it? The gun is very nicely made with very artistic forestock moulding and incised carving at the entry pipe. The cheekpiece side was not visible but the tang carving was also nicely done with some crosshatching in an oval area immediatly around the tang. When I get home after the 1st I will try to get some pictures posted if they turn out OK through the glass case.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Chickamauga Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
Too early to pin it down, but the cross hatching at the tang was definitely a Reedy motif and Fichthorn used it on occasion. Not too sure that Bonawitz did. Get some photos for us, if you please. Thanks for posting the info about this gun.
Dick

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
I could believe Reedy or Ficthorn too. If anyone is in the area it is a nicely preserved piece and well worth checking out. The location it is housed in costs nothing to enter and there are other arms of interest there, a number of contract muskets and Hall breechloaders. Most appeared to be in nice condition but I was time limited and couldn't spend much time elsewhere after drooling over the PA gun.
 Regarding the PA rifle, I was struck by the delicate quality of the carving and the way it flowed around the contours of the stock. The brass patchbox and engraving was in excellent condition(though it was polished enough to make me feel it was a bit too clean) and the stock that was visible was in very nice condition with little in the way of wear, much less damage. Nice curly maple with good figure. I'm looking forward to seeing how well my daughter was able to photo it myself. She is a better photographer than I am.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

LReedynephew

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:46:52 AM »
Was this rifle a battlefield pick up? the reason I'm asking is I'm a Leonard Reedy descendant and we had several Reedy kin in the civil war on both sides. I was wondering about the possible link to Leonard Reedy?

Offline HIB

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
Gentlemen,    The rifle in the Fuller Collection at the Chickamauga Battlefield is indeed a Bonewitz. I have had it out of the case and did some early photo work on it a number of years back.  It is interesting to see the observation of one of the last posts. The patch box does look cleaned and has been with an acid wash that has left little pin pricks of etching on the surface. In addition,  the stock has been cleaned and recolored well beyond anything that might have been required.  All this has been done by the U.S. Park service resoration group in Washington sometime after the Museum acquired the gun. With regard to the recent posts on restoration this is a prime example of what not to do.

The people at the Museum are first class as well as the display of the Fuller Collection. They did not have anything to do with the misguided restoration on this gun. A funny side line to this story shows up in several of the 35mm photos I took.  Apparently procedure requires anyone who handles these guns wear protective gloves.  The gloves provided to me at the time were of a surgical type but had octopus suction grips on them.  The circles these grips left on the new finish show up distinctly in my pics. So a government  destroyed original finish, replaced by a new finish is itself compromised by a glove patterned after an octopus. Thought I'd throw that in.

I have a dozen pictures of the gun available if the recent attempt by a member do not turn out. Glad to share them with the interested but won't be able to get to them until after 5/23. Headed to Phoenix.
Regards,  Henry

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »
These are some pics I took a while back at the battlefield.  The Fuller collection is awsome and well worth the visit if you are close. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:28:58 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »
Nice, nice rifle. Maker appears to be Reedy, but it would be nice to see the carving on the left side to pin it down. The tang ornamentation looks like Reedy's touch with the cross hatching and center point motif. This is a grand gun for sure. Given that it is in NPS curation, it could be somewhat difficult to get to handle it. I would ask; in the past, it largely depended on who was in charge at the time when I wanted to look at a specific gun in an NPS setting. It helps to know someone.
I have known several Reedys who were related to Leonard and it seems that they were a large, prolific famiy. Some spelled the name as Reedy and others as Reidy.
Dick

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
spectacular, thanks
Andover, Vermont

LReedynephew

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
Nice, nice rifle. Maker appears to be Reedy, but it would be nice to see the carving on the left side to pin it down. The tang ornamentation looks like Reedy's touch with the cross hatching and center point motif. This is a grand gun for sure. Given that it is in NPS curation, it could be somewhat difficult to get to handle it. I would ask; in the past, it largely depended on who was in charge at the time when I wanted to look at a specific gun in an NPS setting. It helps to know someone.
I have known several Reedys who were related to Leonard and it seems that they were a large, prolific famiy. Some spelled the name as Reedy and others as Reidy.
Dick

Yes we are many. Hanzet L. Reidi circa 1620 in Filisur is as far back as we have gotten up to this point. Riedi to Riedy to Reedy is the natural progression as the name was anglicized.

Wyatt 

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
For some reason my computer didn't bring up the earlier correspondence regarding this rifle before I jumped into the discussion. So, I stand corrected on the maker, as it has been determined by Henry that it is indeed a Johannes rifle. Reedy's work is often very close to this pattern and suggests that he recognized the superior concepts of his teacher, seeing fit to continue them in his own work while modifying them when he chose to do so.
Too bad about the depredations of the 'restorers' at NPS. The feds can be the worst offenders in almost any setting.
One time while at Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, I noted that there was a profusion of sandstone, hand dressed, stepping and foundation stones throughout the Park. On inquiry of a ranger, the explanation was that when the government took the land for the Park, there were numerous old homes in the area. Because planners wanted to show the area as wilderness, they razed all of the homes, many of which had been built in the late
1700s or early 1800s, leaving only the stones behind.
That was an act of historical vandalism at its worst, in my mind. There are more examples; one involved the best known collection of antique military leather which was stored in a celler in the San Francisco Presidio. The curator was rearranging the exhibits and in a heavy rainstorm the cellar flooded, destroying the entire collection.
So, somehow the surface destruction of this fine rifle is not a total surprise.
Dick