Author Topic: Engraved by the hand of?  (Read 7862 times)

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Engraved by the hand of?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
I hear alot of discussion on this forum and at shows involving attribution of unsigned rifles and
their engraving.  Often I hear that the engraving is not "of the same hand"  I present the pictures below of
the patchboxes of 3 signed Shreckengost rifles which really bear no resemblance to each other, but were
all done by the same hand.  Interested in discussion of this as it relates to other makers and attibution.
I might add also that I have seen the patchboxes of two of his signed rifles where the engraving is even
more elaborate and contains deeper shading almost to a 3 dimensional appearance.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:33:49 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Engraved by the hand of?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
I have always felt that if a patchbox "makes the rifle" then the engraving "makes the patchbox", then it is the engraving that truly makes the rifle! This may sound kind of silly, but when it comes to the artistic side of the longrifle, good outstanding engraving adds a lot to the desireability and value of such. I can never discount architecture and good carving, but on the later percussion era styles we have to deal with what was made at the time.  In comparing your 2 Shreckengost patchboxes my opinion is the first rifle pictured may be just a tad later than the second. It also was the more expensive rifle when made. A gunsmiths true abilities don't come to light until a higher price is paid. It is very hard to match the hand of a gifted engraver to his lower end work.  Just my opinion and it is always fun to see your stuff here Rob!
Joel Hall

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
He obviously hired more than one engraver!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:07:01 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »
How do you know they were all engraved by the same hand?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »
It is said the Jacob Kuntz did some engraving for John Rupp. John Young of Easton is supposed to have done engraving for others. Judging by engraving alone is a tricky matter. There are other aspects to take into consideration also when making an attribution.
JIM

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
The later ones may have been purchased already engraved.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »
Several years ago a member of the KRA was doing research on gunsmiths using local whitesmiths to do their engraving work. I never heard any more about it, but it seems to be reasonable, it's done today, so why not then?
Frank

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »
Use of local whitesmiths seems plausable.  In the case of Shreckengost, having seen rifles from several
decades of production with very similar engraving, barrels with engraving to match patchboxes and
other items engraved by him, I 'm confident he wasn't using a whitesmith himself.  Also, I don't imagine
a whitesmith would have been in Putneyville, PA.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:49:11 AM »
  Also, I don't imagine
a whitesmith would have been in Putneyville, PA.

Just curious, why not? ???

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:28 AM »
Putneyville. Population 150. Middle of nowhere.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »
Two blacksmiths in Putneyville circa. 1870;
One blacksmith in Eddyville;
One blacksmith at McCrea-Galbraith Furnace ( aka Olney Furnace) circa 1857;
One blacksmith at Colwell Furnace circa 1845;
All within a few miles of each other...why not a whitesmith (tinsmith) , jeweler, etc.::) ::)
      Shreck ( not Meister )

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
I understand Robs point. Putneyville (I assume) was a rural farming community, so the demand for a jeweler or whitesmith would not have been in high demand. Unless of course he moonlighted as a Whitesmith and took up farming as his base income. I would tend to think a Whitesmith would want to base himself in an area where commerce was abundant, jewelry of course was and is a luxury not a necessity. I would also think that a farmer at that time produced crops and cattle more for self sustenance and a fraction of this went to commerce. So I would doubt there was extra money for jewelry.Only an opinion.
Buck  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:29:16 PM by Buck »

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Buck   Thank you for stating my case.  That was exactly my point.  I think a Whitesmith would have starved
to death in a small logging town.

mkeen

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Buck   Thank you for stating my case.  That was exactly my point.  I think a Whitesmith would have starved
to death in a small logging town.

A whitesmith would have starved to death? 150 people would have been more than enough to support a whitesmith or tinsmith during this period. I don't think a whitesmith should be equated with a jeweler. A whitesmith would have made everyday objects like lanterns, candle molds, tin boxes, oil lamps, candle sticks, wall sconces, coffee pots, cups, tea caddies, trays, cookie cutters, etc. Most tinware though is not engraved. There are some outstanding examples. I would want to check the occupations of all the locals before discounting the presence of a whitesmith.

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
I thought searching all 37 pages of the 1860 Mahoning Township Census would end up being a waste of time but actually it was very revealing.  It gives you a real feel for the community.  1 Physician, several Innkeepers,
blacksmiths, 1 Stone Mason, 1 Graduate?, 1 Iron Master? several sawyers, timberman, miners, ore diggers,
a slew of farmers, 1 gunsmith (Shreck), a large number of shoemakers, colliers, wagon makers, laborers
teamsters, founders, millers, 1 surveyor, 1 engineer, merchants, plasterer, 3 boat builders, bar keeper.  No whitesmiths or tinsmiths.  Given I've seen about 50 engraved rifles, I don't think he was traveling to get
his engraving done.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »
To me that third rifle looks --- in that one picture --- like a different hand in stock shaping, and engraving. The box look related to some late Maryland work. Maybe he had a journeyman on hand for a short time or maybe the barrel was recycled by a different maker who stocked and engraved it in his style. Are the other details on the rifle more characteristic of his other work?
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »
Rob,
Maybe Shrek was the whitesmith in Putneyville. My understanding of a whitesmith is apparently different from mkeens.
Buck

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
To me that third rifle looks --- in that one picture --- like a different hand in stock shaping, and engraving. The box look related to some late Maryland work. Maybe he had a journeyman on hand for a short time or maybe the barrel was recycled by a different maker who stocked and engraved it in his style. Are the other details on the rifle more characteristic of his other work?
The barrel is signed by Shreck and bears his earlier engraving style.  Upon removal of the barrel, I found
no evidence that lugs had been changed or moved.  The lock appears to be original to the rifle and is circa 1840s which would have been early
in his career, so I concluded that it was his early work.  His family had come from Dauphin County and
the style he developed later was unique to him with a very thin buttstock and extreme drop.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:05:10 AM by Shreckmeister »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »
To the role of 'whitesmith' we perhaps should add that many were 'tinkerers' as well. They mended any item that required it and with some ingenuity.
Dick

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
I am not sure if I could determine if one hand cut all three patch boxes, just looking at the photographs. One method I use is to take macro photographs, and see how cuts were terminated, how turns were made, length of travel at each hammer blow. Other attributes can be 1) how does the engrave handle curves? and 2) does the engraver have good line width control?
This is kind of an 'engraver's fingerprint', if you will.

One cannot compare styles, because fashion changes as time goes by, and designs are often driven by customer demand. So all three boxes could have been engraved by the same guy, but to determine that, you'd have to look really close.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:54:17 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »
 Something to consider is that the tools used to engrave long rifles were small, and few. Any trade in those days that could be made portable probably was, to some degree. It is not inconceivable that someone that maybe didn't excel at some of the other facets of the gunsmiths trade, but was a fair engraver might travel around and engrave guns for other smiths. Just a thought.

Hungry Horse

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
There still exists a complete chest of gunsmithing and forging tools owned by Wm. Shreckengost that is in private hands.
There are engraving and checkering tools,turnscrews, wrenchs, taps, dies, etc. within that collection.
Also, the set contains the zinc and paper templates of known patchbox designs and inlays...some with engraving designs penciled in.
The Shreckengost Family Bible also is written in Wm's. hand, recording dates of childrens births and some cases deaths...the lettering is the same as his engraving.
My guess....he did his own engraving work, any anomalies may certainly be attributed to restocking of existant parts, apprentices, bad day in the shop, etc...ad nauseum ::)
     Just my 2d's worth,
     I remain..................Shreck ( not Meister ) ::)