Author Topic: DELETED PICTURES  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
DELETED PICTURES
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
TO ALL ALR MEMBERS,
As some of you know, I am a fairly new member of ALR and am still aquiring required knowledge of the longrifle. I have been looking at photos and also reading all the information pertaining to each rifle in the antique rifle forum. What really dismays me is many, many photos have been removed or deleted. why? For all of us new folks to learn all the schools, we need to be able to see them. I like the posts of CAN YOU IDENTIFY THE MAKER OF THIS RIFLE or PICKED UP A GREAT FIND YESTERDAY. There is alot of these that have the photos deleted.All the comments are left but you really dont have a clue what the rifle looks like.  I truly love the longrifle and all that goes with it. So I am asking, even begging, please dont remove these photos. Us new folks need every tool for learning that we can get. And myself I yearn for the history of the longrifle in both photos and written text.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: DELETED PICTURES
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
Well Topknot, there can be a lot of reasons why the pictures disappear.
But probably the main reason is that the person that posted them deleted them from his Photobucket or other such location after the thread had run its course, and he'd received his answer.
Probably the best way to maintain a record of what ever pictures you want is to copy them to your hard drive while they are being shown here. Plus you could copy all the text as well if you wanted to. If you don't have a huge hard drive, copy them to a CD or DVD.
I'm a picture collector too, and have hundreds, probably thousands, on this computer!

John
John Robbins

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
Whenever possible and with the permission of the "owner" many, if not most, of the gun pictures  are moved to the Virtual Museum and  stored perminently for study. We hope many more owners will contribute their gun pictures , to infact, meet the desires and needs of students and collectors like yourself.

Hurricane, Nord and the Museum Committee

GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:49:31 AM »
What terrible timing. Just before I came to the forum tonight I went over to the "new" photobucket to learn about the new "easier" system.  The problem is, the first thing I learned was how to delete, which I did to all the photos that were left in my album. I did manage to figure out how to upload pictures to photobucket but gave up trying to figure out how to set them up to appear in our forums. Now I feel bad.  Is there any reason, assuming I figure out how to do pictures again, that I can not go back and re post pictures to old posts?  Just can't win. Jack

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
Grampa, I think you can. All the picture files on this forum need a specific internet address, and I mean specific. That's why so many people have trouble posting images. Now,if you edit the image's name, remove or move any image file after you have posted it, it will be gone from the post if it doesn't match the correct address of the image.

The best way to put your images back in all your post is to edit each post with the new image address.
Yer pal, Keb
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:10:05 PM by Keb »

Dogshirt

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
A word of caution about saving pictures to your computer. I collect pictures of Blackfoot beadwork, as well as Hawken rifles. I too had thousands of pictures. Twice my computers have crashed and I almost lost those photos.
After what is called "Emergency Data Recovery" I got them back and put them on discs. THEN lost the discs
in the fire last year!
 If you save them to discs, make two copies and give one to a friend or relative to keep. There is also the online
backup systems, but I have no experiance with them.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
...If you save them to discs, make two copies and give one to a friend or relative to keep. There is also the online
backup systems, but I have no experiance with them.

this is SOLID advice!
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Breadhead

• Common sense is uncommon.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
As an IT professional who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours doing computer backups and restores at work, I consider the $50 or so bucks I give to Carbonite every year for my home PC online backup, some of the best money I spend.  Hard drives fail... period.  Having your original and one copy of data is the same as not having it.  

With that said... Every document and picture that I have ever had (going back to 1990 as I don't delete much of anything), is stored in the Cloud somewhere...  and I can access it from anywhere.  33,417 files (66.72 GB) so far.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
A few years ago I bought a stand alone hard drive to back up my files. It was a brand name product, but just after the warrentee expired, the motor in it failed and the company wanted an obscene amount of money to replace/repair/transfer my files. Since the computer it was suppose to back up was still operating fine, I bought a different brand backup, for more $$$, but since then that back up has somehow become corrupted and only causes trouble. Now, I just back stuff up to a couple DVDs.

John
John Robbins

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:47:01 PM »
I have a 1 terrabite hard drive on my home network. All pictures get saved there along with other stuff and then I use Picasa and Picasa Web albums as well as Google + to sync all photos from any of my computers, phones etc to all others and the cloud.  And then I do have a bunch on Photobucket, but it is becoming less essntial as I can also post image addresses from Picasa Web albums in ALR posts!!  Wow, aint technology great??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming