Author Topic: Samuel Morrison History  (Read 6519 times)

Offline nord

Samuel Morrison History
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
(Posted under Morrison (PA) in the ALR Museum & Library)

Gunsmith, Samuel Morrison of Milton is my direct ancestor.

Samuel of Tazewell Co is his son. Samuel Sr d. 30 May 1844 in Milton and
is found there in the 1820, 1830 & 1840 census. I have been unable to
find him in 1810. Nancy, who married in 1834 in Lewisburg to Noah S
Prentiss is my link forward. She was the fourth child.

Both her 1880 & 1900 census state that her father was born in
Pennsylvania, but her death certificate says Vermont. It also states
that her mother was Hannah Ainsworth, born in Pennsylvania. Other
Morrison researchers do not seem to be aware of her.

The first child, John was born in 1809. It is difficult to infer when
Samuel came to Pennsylvania, as he may have had an earlier New England
wife and met Hannah down here. In fact, I have found four wives, perhaps
five. Researching this guy has been difficult.

I hope this small bit of information is of some help. If you need more,
I will do my best to find it. And, to answer the usual question. I do
not own a Morrison rifle. You would be surprised how often that question
comes up. Or, maybe not.

Tom Young <teyoung3@verizon.net>
Danville, Pennsylvania
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply to Tom:

Tom,

Gunmaking was a tradition in New England, so Sr. could well have had his start there. My Worden ancestors were from New England and we have family records of one of my "cousins" courting a young lady from just north of Gettysburg. Considering transportation and communications of the time we think this impractical. Apparently our ancestors didn't. Thus, migration from one area to another was much less of a deal for them than we sometimes believe.

Historical records would seem to indicate that Morrison and Joe Long were associated with each other. There is conjecture as to the degree and exact nature of the relationship, but there unquestionably was one. Joe Long may well have influenced Morrison, though the same might be conjectured in reverse.

In any case not strange at all that Morrison moved to and began to construct firearms now considered uniquely Upper Susquehanna. And now more clear as to why Illinois Morrison rifles always seemed to me to be so much the same, yet a bit different. Now I wonder if Jr. wasn't the Illinois maker?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom:

I would say yes.

Samuel Sr died in Milton in 1844 at the age of 59. He was already dead
when his son, Samuel Jr (referred to in his death notice, as "formerly
of Milton") died in 1850 in Pekin at the age of 32.

The obvious conclusion is that Sr never left Pennsylvania, although this
is not strictly proven. Analysis of Sr's 1840 census record appears to
indicate that Jr had not yet gone to Illinois.

Exactly why Jr went west around 1841 is unclear.

Question. Where and from whom did Sr learn his trade? Do we know of any
gunsmiths named Morrison in Vermont? Since my interest is in genealogy,
I am still looking for Samuel Sr's ancestry.

A portion of my mail to Fred Garner...

What we've just learned compared with what was first known about Morrison is amazing. Certainly we knew all along that he and Joe Long were associated to one degree or another. We also knew that Sam dropped out of sight long about the late 40's, but little more. Then Curt Johnson seemed to answer the question of what happened when he produced Morrison rifles made in Pekin. It all made sense. Sam had moved... But he didn't!

Now a family member has come forth to explain exactly what happened. Also why some claim Morrisons to be signed with a stamp and others claim a very light script. Elder  Sam signed in script and Jr. used a stamp in most cases it seems. I also now better understand why Illinois Morrisons seem to be slightly different from their PA siblings. I had thought it to be because of changing times and styles. In a way this is true. The difference I now know is more due to an added generation of makers! The confusion coming from father and son dying within such a short time without any apparent distinction between Sr. and Jr. 

So Sam Sr. made my rifle a bit earlier than I had thought. Probably in the early 1830's and one of his earlier percussion guns.  It would follow that Jr. learned from Sr. and that there was a time when both produced guns in PA. Just how Joe Long fit into the picture is unclear. Sam Sr. and Joe friends? Sam Jr. working back and forth between Sam Sr. and Joe? Maybe all three combined for a time?

I'm now suspicious that guns signed Long & Morrison are not what we've always thought. Could it be that they're really Sam Jr. and Joe Long? Wouldn't that be interesting? In any case we've brought to light a totally new dimension to Morrison heretofore unknown to the world!

Then the Illinois guns. So many hints of Long. Also different lock architecture which I had laid on changing times. Much less pleasing to my eye, but I could allow for it. Now the hint of a different hand becomes the fact of a different hand. Amazing!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:56:40 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Samuel Morrison History
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:44:48 AM »
VERY interesting! Sometimes the stories of these gunsmith's lives take unexpected turns, and this is certainly one of those times. I don't think any of us even suspected that we actually had two gunsmiths named Samuel Morrison, who were father & son. It's revelations like this that make this stuff so fascinating!

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »
Hello, Nord. I am head scratching over the initials on my apparent Morrison superimposed-charge rifle newly in the library. I have a copy of Samuel Morrison's "Letters Patent" and his signature is perfect for the "M" but not at all right for the 1st letter. After studying signatures and  text in cursive script on the Declaration of Independence, I am convinced it is not an "S", but must be an "I" or "J". Notes from Tom Young, 12/16/2010, mention a "John" born to Samuel in 1809. The locks have similarities to the lock in the 1836 Morrison patent and show possible links to it, but the patent lock is really very different in concept. Both are for superimposed-charge rifles.  Any chance John Morrison could have signed my rifle? John T Morrison of Fort Concho, Texas patented a breech loader in 1878 (#206475). Possible connection? His signature on the patent drawings doesn't match the "J" on my rifle, but the "M" is close. The "M" on Samuel's signature on his 1836 patent is a good match on my rifle, but his "patent S" is all wrong. Where are we now? Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:01 AM »
Very interesting!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »
Not an "L" & "M" by any chance?
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
"L" seems to always start the upper loop on the left and pass to the right and then loop over the top to descend for the main vertical limb. "I" always loops from the right like the initials on my rifle. "J" on some signatures starts its top loop on the right, and on some starts on the left. My authority is limited to the Declaration, which has a lot of "J's" and "S's" in signatures, but no "I's". Those I found in the text as capital letters on "Indian" and something else. It all seems to relate well to what we learned in grade school cursive writing. There are a lot of double "s's" in the Declaration and in Samuel Morrison's "Letters Patent" with the 1st "s" long like a small "f", but consistently looped the opposite direction from the "f" we learned in school and as used in the Declaration. I wondered if there might be a special "S" related to that phenomenon, but couldn't find such a thing. I think we are seeing an "I" or "J" on my rifle. The script from another Morrison signature that is in the library and is hand drawn is upside down, I believe, and has real similarities with mine. When John sends mine back, I'll try to get better photos of the initials. Can anybody find out about Samuel Morrison's son, John? Did he have a middle initial "T", making him a candidate as a gunsmith who might have made my rifle in his father's pattern and moved to Texas?
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline nord

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Bill,

Judging from what I've seen of rifles from the Morrison clan I'd tend not to attribute yours to either Jr. or a sibling in his generation. While Jr. and possibly another brother made rifles at the same general time as the elder Sam, there were some rather stark differences... At least between Sr. and Jr. Morrison.

When I look at your rifle I immediately notice characteristics of Sam Sr. in style and detail. Aside from the common inlays and patchbox I'm drawn to the hammers and locks. These weren't purchased at the local hardware store.  I've see only one other mule ear by a maker in Hazleton sporting a somewhat similar hammer. Different enough, though, not to be easily confused with the Morrison style and not as well executed.

Locks are another feature leading me back to the hand of Sam the elder. Your rifle has what might be termed as a rebound spring under the sear on both locks. This is a feature not found on my rifle though the locks are virtually identical otherwise. I tend to think that perhaps my rifle is a bit earlier than yours and that Sam discovered the advantages of a more positive sear retention. That, or my rifle was an economy model by comparison to yours. Maybe an 1840's visit by OSHA mandated the springs. ;)

In any case I believe your rifle to be an Upper Susquehanna product. Were it to be an Illinois gun by Sam Jr., then a different and somewhat ugly hammer by comparison. And if we find this rifle by the hand of a yet unknown Morrison or by the hand of Sam Sr. and a yet undetermined associate I'd not be too surprised either. Sam obviously didn't work in a vacuum and he seemed to share with other makers in his general vicinity.

One detail that seems to sometimes define Sam the elder is a reluctance to engrave his initials deeply into the barrel of his guns. As I've previously shared, this frustrated me for years until the light caught my rifle at just the right angle.

So... We'll keep digging into the history of men who never realized anyone would care at a time a century and a half into their future. There will be someone out there with the answer. Maybe a family bible or just a verbal history, but someone knows. All we have to have is a bit of luck and this will begin to make sense.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:20:38 AM »
Nord..........interesting information.   I purchased a gun at the auction in Manheim, Pa. several months ago, and I have
attributed it to Morrison.  Right now I don't know which one, you guys have confused me, ha.    I initially thought it was
Samuel, but don't know.........the gun is unsigned.    It has a lot of Joe Long characteristics in it, but, it is not one of his
guns.    I would love to know when, and with whom Joe Long worked.    I saw a gun that was signed "Morrison and Long"
down at the Pottstown gun show many years ago.  Also, it has a standard side lock, not a mule ear.....Don