Author Topic: Iron Mounted Tennesee rifle  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Iron Mounted Tennesee rifle
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:59:55 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Iron Mounted Tennesee rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »
any chance we can see the rest of it?
tca
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Sorry, these are all I took.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Any ideas on who built it?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:52:07 AM »
I don't know but it's very similar to the one on ALR in the Unknown Iron
Mounted group

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Yes - it appears to be related to at least three other known guns - the one in the virtual libraray, one from the Bill Ivey book, and one that another ALR member posted a ways back that was found near Maryville, TN.   A pretty distinctive style. 

I could be wrong but my gut feeling on these is that they are from somewhere near the Great Smokies region - could be either side of the NC/TN line - they don't look like upper East TN to me in the sense of the rifles from Unicoi, Sullivan or Washington County areas and I think they were made a little farther south.

Whoever this gunmaker was, i really like his work.

Guy

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
Guy, I think you are "on the money" with your assessment- they really are different than the upper E. Tn rifles we're used to seeing.  I wish they would post the photos I sent to the library.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320