Author Topic: Finished Fordney  (Read 15663 times)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Finished Fordney
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:09:29 AM »
The inlays are from the Melchoir Fordney rifle in the NRA Museum. The carving from various Fordneys. The teardrops on either side of the cheekpiece eagle have arrows on one and fig leaves? on the other. Prehaps war or peace??
Criticism welcome.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:23:35 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Finished Fordney
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
Bill, this is a really handsome rifle. The photos don't do it justice. This is not a subject many builders take on, yet you have done so, and done it superbly. Beautiful gun.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:28:29 AM »
Criticism, yah right. Looks like a little piece of lint right below the trigger gaurd other wise I would like the gun for one of my own if I could afford it.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »
Smylee, Ithink that's a dog hair. She was walking all over it.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:23:58 AM »
Bill,

I would like to offer you some constructive criticism, unfortunately you are out of luck.  All I can say is that is an inspiring work of art.  Thanks for sharing another sample of your work with us!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

willyr

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
WOW!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
Bill,
      I saw the rifle at Lewisburg, and was really impressed (as usual by your work).   The Fordney style carving is outstanding.  Trying to get thant many lines so close together must have been trying.  The question is do you do that before or after the Manhattens??  A great effort, Melchoir would have been proud---if your neighbor starts talking to his horse look out.   Sorry I did not get a chance to express my appreciation in person, but I didn't get much time away from my table this year. 

The best,   Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
Bill
Enjoyed seeing you and this rifle at Lewisberg.Very Nice!!

Mitch

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
Bill this is first class work, I allways enjoy seeing your rifles. I agree that Fordney's work is one of the most difficult to pull off but you have done an outstanding job.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
Oh boy, that's a nice one. ;D Nothing I can find to pick on. I've been wanting to build one of those for a couple years now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline shifty

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
  I am just amazed and about how many hours do you have in building the gun.I have a Hawken that I built and it took me over 2 yrs to finnish it ,just working on it when I had time and could make parts or could afford them as I went along, I am just amazed at the guns that I see on this forum.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
What an exciting rifle Bill!  There's a lot going on there.  Your signature carving continues to climb the ladder of perfection.  As Ron pointed out, the detail in your fine lines is remarkable.  Compared to the original MF rifles in reference material, it seems to me that you've taken his work to a much higher level.  I hope you never lose the drive to recreate these delightful pieces.  Inspirational!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
BILL, That rifle is awesome . the fit and finnish is perfect. the carving and engraving would be the envy of most anyone that is a rookie builder like myself. For that matter the envy of most seasoned builders. masterpiece!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »
I don't want your head to swell up too much Bill, but you have surpassed ole Melcoir with this very fine rifle! It rates an 11 out of 10 points high!
Joel Hall

keweenaw

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »
Bill,

Beautiful job.  My only critique is that Fordney's carving always looks a bit more loosely done than what you've done on this rifle.  He did a great job but it never looks like he took a long time doing it.

Tom

Little Brother

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »
Well done, Bill.  I've said it before and I'll likely say it again, when I see your work, the word "crisp" jumps out.
Which lock did you modify for this rifle?  It's different and I like it.
Ben

Offline yip

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
   ya know, after look'n at the rifles on this forum, i give up trying to build anything as good as this one. beautiful just beautiful!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Master Shipman I’m sorry but this rifle is all wrong, one thing it needs is a good breaking in, a build up of use made dings and dats! Toward that end I believe you should send it to me immediately for the help it needs. I promise not to keep it more than the rest of my natural life.

Other than that it is gorgeous and a fine representation of a Fordney. You, sir, build very nice shooting irons.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
Ok I'll be the one to ask!  But first - your work puts us (most) peons to shame...So now that's out of the way and so far this is a mutual admiration society for good reason... Now then:  The opposite lock plate dips a tad low in front and assume to avoid the rr hole w/o notching the bolt and or tapering the rod.  This shows up on the plate and lock surrounds one being lower than the other.   By accident Bill or did you do this to show that you really are a human being ::) ;D

I'll blame old age for asking the question in the first place.........
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:48:35 AM by Roger Fisher »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
Hi Bill,
What a treat!  Magnificient.  How are the detached side pieces of the patchbox held in the wood?  Is there a hook that slips under the hinge?  Are there well hidden nails in the side pieces or do they lock into the buttplate somehow?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Mountain Rifle

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 02:15:53 AM »
This rifle is so impressive I don't know where to begin.  Even the lockplate is an eye catcher.  I don't think I have ever seen better work.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »
Bill,

You have done it again.  Quite a nice piece.  Thank you for the photos with all the detail.

Larry Luck

Jeff Peters

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:20:40 AM »
Beutiful
I want to be able to do work like this when I grow up
Thank you for sharing the photos

Jeff

Meteorman

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »
Crazy good as always, Mr. Bill.
I don't know, but it seems like it would be real easy to have a gun with that much bling come out looking gaudy and overdone, and real hard to have it come out looking dignified and graceful.  You of course have accomplished the latter.
/mike

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:44 AM »
Looks great, Bill.  I like the effect the shading cuts around the cheek carving create.

Jim