Author Topic: Rudolph Pelck  (Read 10176 times)

big smoke

Rudolph Pelck
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:29 AM »
A friend of mine would like some info on this rifle, and a possible value. Duplex?

Offline JDK

Re: Rudolph Pelck
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:56:13 AM »
Hey Brian,  Glad you found your way over here.  We've already established that Rudolph Pelck was a mid 19th century gunsmith from Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois.

Likely others here will have more information.  I hope you are posting the other pictures.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

big smoke

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:14:23 AM »
Thanks again J.D.  I'll check back again tomorrow.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:37:23 AM »
More photo please!!!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »
This appears to be the superposed - load Rudolph Pelck rifle that was advertised in the Golden State Arms Catalog, back during the 1950's. 

Rudolph Oswald Pelck was born in Posen, Germany (now Poznau, Poland) in 1827.  He was educated at the University of Krakow. At age 13, he was apprenticed to learn the trade of locksmith and gunsmith.  After serving a seven year apprenticeship, he sailed for America, and lived at first with the family of his older sister, who lived in Erie, Pennsylvania. One of them, Henry Jarecki, was also a gunsmith, and Pelck is believed to have worked for him, prior to moving to Freeport, Illinois, in about 1856.  He operated his shop in Freeport, until his death, August 19, 1885.  I have seen a number of his rifles over the years, and own three of them.  I killed an Illinois whitetail buck with a Rudolph Pelck rifle, several years ago.

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
I was hoping this rifle would generate a little more interest...I'm sure it will.

What strikes me as odd is that it appears that the drums are either directly across from one another or either so close to parallel that it appears as though this gun is not set up to fire two separate loads.

Anybody notice the same thing and care to comment as to the whys and what fors?

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
Brian,  What is the caliber? I for one would like to see more photos.  I think you would get alot more comments if you showed different veiws and close-ups of key areas like the locks , barrel signature( if signed ), butt inlay , the bore, ect.It is a nice old rifle, and I would surely like to see more photos.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

big smoke

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:42:15 AM »
I've told my buddy we need more info, it seems the rifle belongs to a friend of his father. I'm going to get these fellows logged on to this forum as I'm just the middle man here, sorry. I believe the owner was thinking about selling so I told them I would try to find out something about it.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »
Neither these pictures, nor the one in that old Golden State Arms Catalog, give much insight into how this rifle was supposed to work.  I would love to see it in better detail, Illinois-made guns are my specialty.  If it is signed like the three I have, it has a small, neat, one-piece stamp, "R. PELCK FREEPORT ILLS", on the top flat of the barrel, behind the rear sight.

JDK, Although it is hard to tell too much from these photos, it appears that there is a plugged hole in the right side of the barrel, several inches forward of the existing drum, where another drum was once located.  I suspect that it has been altered from the original superposed-load configuration.  I'm guessing that it originally had either a hammer with a long extension, or a firing-pin type arrangement to strike the cap on that forward nipple/drum.  The plugged hole is also visible in the old catalog photo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:32:57 AM by Curt J »

big smoke

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:59:13 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:21 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:15 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »

big smoke

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:25 AM »

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:37 AM »
Brian, Thanks for posting more photos. Very nicely built rifle. Interesting trigger guard and comb.The raised panels on the rear of the stock for the inlay and also the patchbox is also well done. It does appear to have a plug in the side of the barrel a few inches ahead of the drum. Overall , a well made rifle with a style unique to the maker. I like it!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

big smoke

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32:03 AM »

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:16 AM »
MY bad, I meant to say the cheekpiece panel with the inlay. Sorry Brian.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

big smoke

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »

Offline JDK

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
Yes, thanks for adding more pictures.  Well done.  This is a quality piece.  I still can't figure out why in the world he has opposing drums.  And that "plug" that topknot pointed out ahead of the right side lock, what's that???

I imagine the trigger guard is so heavy to add a little strength to the gun, maybe?  There can't be much wood left after excavating for the internals of two locks.

Hopefully we can get some help on this gun and learn some more about it.  Curt?  Anyone?  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

big smoke

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
Well there it is and thats all I've got for now. I hope you gents enjoyed the pics and thank you for all the info. But still theres the question of value. My friends would really like to know what a fair price would be.

Offline JDK

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
Well Brian, as far as price, maybe somebody here will have an idea, but the only way to know for sure would be to auction it through one of the auction companies specializing in antique guns.

These things are often one of a kind and that is the only way to determine what the best dollar one can get for them is.

Other than that it's pretty much whatever somebody is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to take.

We often see guns coming up for private sale with an "asking" price, but unless you know one of the parties involved you don't always know what was paid.

I know that's not much help.  Perhaps somebody will have a better idea.  Thanks again and Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »
Brian, Thats a question the more knowledgeable of ALR will have to answer for you. Come on guys, whats your opinion.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
We all know that "It will be worth a lot more if it shoots!" Great gun, very much out of the ordinary and kind of in a class by itself. Fits into the experimental category, I would say.
Not so long ago another unusual rifle was shown on the Forum. It is a side hammer gun, said to have been made by Morrison; however it has two hammers much like this one, and only one barrel. The latter took superimposed loads and theoretically could be fired twice with one loading. It is very possible that this rifle is similarly configured.
If it could be disassembled without difficulty, it would be instructive to see what is going on with the two locks and the screw on the right quarter flat.
Not too sure what you should look for in terms of value. If you can locate a collector who specializes in such arms you stand a good chance of getting some numbers, and there are those who like these.  Thank you for bringing it by. It's a dandy!
Dick