Author Topic: Lock Questions: Davis Late Ketland or L&R Late English Flintlocks  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Majorjoel

I was wondering which of these two locks would work best for a southern style rifle project I have been planning? I have used the L&R before using both types of hammers but have never tried the Davis, which costs a bit more. The rifle will be a West Virginia brass mounted, short barreled fullstock in cherry wood.  Any and all ideas are welcome.
Joel Hall

Offline JDK

Re: Lock Questions: Davis Late Ketland or L&R Late English Flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
.......Any and all ideas are welcome.
Why not consider the Chambers' Late Ketland also?  I feel it superior to either of the others.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »
You can't beat the Chambers Late Ketland!

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
Maybe Bob Roller could build up an L&R Late English for you, then you'd have no worries, because you'd have everything: looks and all!  The Davis lock also looks like it might be worth a try.  I just got back from shooting a rifle with a Chambers Late Ketland, and it is a VERY nice lock out of the box, but just doesn't have the same look of ultimate flint technology that the Late English does.

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
I use Chamber's late Ketland on my Southern Mountain rifles.  I change the profile on the tail of the plate to match a couple original Goulcher locks I have, and have been happy with the results.
                                                                             Roger Sells

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
Thank you fella's! Looks like a late Ketland from Jim it will be!
Joel Hall