Author Topic: Patchbox cavity  (Read 5816 times)

Offline draken

Patchbox cavity
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »
What would you consider the normal/average depth of the patchbox cavity on an early Lancaster or similar early longrifle?
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patchbox cavity
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:06:49 AM »
I have not studied enough originals to give an informed answer but judges at a certain gun fair like them to be Snicker bar thickness.   ;D

Seriously, 3/4" is about a minimum cavity for me and 1" is better.  I put a lot of stuff in there when hunting.  Extra patches, ball puller, gun worm, a couple flints, an extra feather.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:42:39 AM »
I suppose truly the Snickers Bar is the perfect answer to your question. That is one of the first pieces of advice I received after joining the ALR. In honor of Ron, Thanks it's perfect. Bob

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »
I don't know what the HC answer is but that reminds me I need to cut mine deeper on my .62 rifle. I like to keep puller, worm, scraper and jag in there and they won't all fit.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
Patchbox!.I always thought of it as an ash tray.

Bob Roller

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
1 in. is a good depth unless you have a very narrow stock.

sweed

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
How thick is your flask?? ::)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »
The "Snicker Bar" measure was from a person who built large, early guns.    If you build something later and smaller/thinner,  it is a bit unrealistic.   On the original rifles,  the patchbox length and depth is all over the place.  The later patchboxes are little more than decorative and can only hold a few cut patches.   The earlier ones tended to be more "Snicker Bar" size.    My personal opinion is that the patch box should be proportional to the butt stock.    The length and width is going to be based on the patchbox design and the length and and height of the butt stock.   The golden mean can be applied here for some guidance.   The overall patchbox length is 2/3 the length of the comb.  The patchbox door or box length is roughly 2/3 the overall patchbox length.    The width is going to be similarly proportional to the patchbox design and the height of the butt stock from the butt piece heel extension to the toe and must be inside any toe moulding.    Usually, the door is 1" to 1 1/4"  with the box being about an 1/8" smaller than that.   As to the depth of the box,   I make mine a little over 1/2 the width of the butt stock at the widest point.  Usually that works out to be between 3/4" to 1".   

Bob Mac

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
If we use the Snickers bar as a reference, will we need to add wood to the cavity as the size of the bar decreases? A rifle made 15 years ago would have to big a cavity by todays standard. ;)

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »
On 3 rifles I have handy, a 1780-ish (2" thick butt) Lancaster has a box .675 deep on one side and .690 on the other.
A 1790/1800 J Dickert has a box about .650 deep.
An 1830-ish Lancaster Casper Fordney has a box just at .600 deep.

I don't think a snickers will fit in any of these! But back then they didn't have the judges that they have today!

John
John Robbins

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
John you are right, or maybe they had smaller Snicker bars...LP

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:21 AM »
Yea,  I don't think Dickert would see too many blue ribbons at Dixons'.  :D

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »
With the Snickers bar, there is also the problem of which one do you use.  They sell various different sizes.    There are the bite size, the regular size (which keeps getting smaller) and then there is the King size which would require a very long patchbox.   Perhaps something more akin to a magazine that you slap in through the butt piece would be more appropriate for those with the big appetites. ;D

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
Patchbox!.I always thought of it as an ash tray.

Bob Roller

Now THAT'S funny!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
If you decide instead, to make a Southern poor boy, you could put in a double box, that would accommodate the Almond Joy, or Mounds, variety of cravings as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
What about a double box for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? :D

Offline draken

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »
Thanks for all your input, friends.    The gun is an early Albrecht with a butt just over two inches.  Snickers Bar sounds good, but I'm diabetic, so it's a no-no.   Soooo I'll just take my ruler over to the convenience store and get the dimensions.  :)  ;)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!