Author Topic: what is your favorite lock and style?  (Read 8535 times)

blaksmth

what is your favorite lock and style?
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:36:16 AM »
just wondering what is your favorite lock ,maker and style or do you like to build them up from scratch

greybeard

Re: what is your favorite lock and style?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »
Chambes late Ketland and large Siler!!
   Bob

Michael

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
Chambers early Ketland, no bridal on pan. More inclined to make a lock from scratch that way I get exactly what I need.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Chambes late Ketland and large Siler!!

I have to agree with Greybeard. I have a large Siler on my hunting rifle and it just keeps firing and the flints seem to last forever. I have gotten spoiled to the late Ketlands speed and consistency, other locks seems to work in slow motion compared to it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
Bob Roller, any variety;  Chambers Colonial

kind regards, heinz

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Many thanks for the endorsement. I just finished a Twigg and Chambers late Ketland for
a man in MS. I think it was the 5th Ketland on Jim's parts but no matter,it is a nice lock
to work with and good looking as well. I now must get on the little Manton-Bailes-Nock
flintlocks. Cold here today and I hope to get the shop warmed up so I can work. I do not
care one bit for cold weather,snow and ice and the high bills that come with it. Honolulu
proves you can live 100 years without any of that.

Bob Roller

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
Guys,

I build mine from scratch - barn hinges, etc.  Certainly they are not the best, but they are really hand made.  My favorite style uses a welded on pan rather than the detachable pan, a lot less work, especially with the file.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:20:30 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
Gotta agree with Heinz! Bob did a Durrs-Egg for me that as one guy said,"Should be listed as a fire hazzard with the county!

I am NOT a lock expert by any mean's,hence,my endorsment of Mr.Rollers work,but I have never had any issue's with L&R lock's. I'll poish the innerd's a bit,but outside of that,I like 'em.

Need to get off my ass and get the parts to Bob! Still amazed at his work and wish I was aware YEARS ago!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
Lots of good info here.  I also like L& R locks, better than most of the guys on the forums seem to.  That said, I've had two large Silers that were great and I recently built a .36 halfstock with a late Ketland and it's a smokin' lock, probably my favorite now.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:21 AM »
Chambers Golden Age Siler.

ken

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »
Large Siler by far least amount of trouble

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »
Chambers early germanic.
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
Bob Roller L&R Durrs Egg...fantastic lock!

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
Chambers' Dale Johnson for early Lancasters and Chambers' Late Ketland for Bucks County. Both "fit in" well w/ these 2 different styles....Fred

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »
English Round Face and Siler
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Vomitus

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
  I love all locks that spark good. My Chambers Late Ketland is my fav. That little begger sparks like a grinder and leaves a smell of burnt ozone!

pushboater

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
I've got a Chambers Early Lancaster with his Golden Age Lock that I've put over 2000 rounds through and it still sparks like the day I finished it!  Great Lock and good looking to boot.  Highly recommended

Offline cmac

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:07 AM »
I like Chamber's Early Ketland. Hard to beat his large Siler lock though. If on a later gun I do like the look and function of the late Ketland. Mold and Gun Shop locks are also great......Guess its hard to pick a favorite

Offline duca

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 03:13:27 AM »
Hey Guys, Fired The Schimmel for the first time on Friday that has a chambers Late Ketland on her. NICE!
Heard a lot about this Lock on the forum and you guys were right. Sure and Fast. O, and the Flint doesn't even look like it was used. I also like the Siler, and L&R locks to...
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Captchee

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
Thinking on this question  I think this may be a very open ended  in that   hard to separate for a given type of piece that any one of us like to build .
   For a lot of application , I think its hard to beat the siler  locks .
 But like others I  actually prefer the DE or Katland locks .
 But if I had to evaluate the lock  complete separate and away from applications  and without  preference to modern makers , I prefer  others like  , Manton , Twigg  and  LaPage  just to name a few . But again that’s  thinking strictly on  design and geometry  vs. application and not to say that Bob or Jim do not have quality locks .

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
The Twigg lock has real potential but not with the mechanism that they come with.
I have been making and installing upgraded,traditional internal mechanisms in the Twigg,
Jim Chambers fine late Ketland and the L&R Ashmore,Durs Egg and small Manton-Bailes-Nock
for some time now.There are a number of people on the forum that have them and I have a
number of orders for more as well as several styles of Hawken caplock and a couple of Alex
Henry Stanton style for long range rifles like the one TOF showed yesterday.

Bob Roller

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
I have 2 favorites. The Chambers round faced english and the Caywood wilson. Both seem to be solid reliable sparkers for me and my needs
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

R.D.Metcalf

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
I've  always liked  the  looks  of  Round  faced  locks,  Chambers English  or Virginia  and  the  Queen  Anne  for  pistols. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »
As far as authenticity and performance goes, I don't think there is a production lock that is better than the Chambers Early Ketland.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:41:44 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Captchee

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
 Bob ,  I guess I should have included more  info as I wasn’t thinking of  the  common locks available today .  When I said Manton  I was referring to the V pan Manton
 I also like the  Patent locks done my C Moore  with the pan not being part of the lock  at all .
 But then Moore also did some lock designs that I don’t care for .
Same goes for Twigg  and LePage .
  I  once saw a lock marked twigg that  was on a  rifle that came into the  MOI .
  Im not sure if it was a later addaptation or exactly  how it came to be . But  it was rather unusual  in that the bridle had 3 screws . Also  the thing that really  drew my attention was that while it still carried a stirrup, instead of the common type we see today , the stirrup was a  shaped like a dumbbell . Even  the tumbler arm was thicker and more robust .

To me those locks are like a high end sports car, fine and refined , yet at the same time  very un forgiving when things get alittle out of whack or worn
 When it comes to  the Siler . I have always kinda looked at it  as a work horse type of lock . Its strong , reliable and has a forgiving  tolerance area where it will still work .
 I remember when Jim started marketing the Bearing upgrade. 
 I was kinda going ???? Why .
 Frankly that was something I had been doing with cheaper locks  for a very long time  starting out with bronze bushings and  later with full micro  bearing races .
 Never did such a thing to a siler  though . Always though of them as a lock that was so well put together that it didn’t need such .