Author Topic: 4 ga. Blunderbuss Kit - Stonewall Creek Outfitters  (Read 6388 times)

BrushCountryAg03

4 ga. Blunderbuss Kit - Stonewall Creek Outfitters
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:05 AM »
Does anyone else besides me have their name on the waiting list for one of these kits when they become available?

Offline deano

Re: 4 ga. Blunderbuss Kit - Stonewall Creek Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Now that will be a great way to clear the riff-raff off your porch!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
I didn't build one from a kit, but did make one up with a 4 gage brass barrel from Ed Rayl.  It goes through a lot of powder and lead but is, if you will excuse the pun, a "blast" to shoot.  Here are a links to some old posts:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8036.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13673.0
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
Dave,

Many times over the past year I have looked over that beauty you made...She is everything a Blunderbuss should be...I am still in awe today.  I can only hope that might be able to engrave half as good as you someday.

I am curious though, why is Stonewall Creek so adamant about only an experienced builder taking on this kit?  Is it just the inletting of the barrel that is the hardest part?

Again I stand in awe Sir,

Will

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
Now that will be a great way to clear the riff-raff off your porch!

Oh yeah...And you can be sure, this coming Dove Season, that I will wait until I'm around a crowd hunting before I put down my Benelli and pull out the "Donderbuss", while no one's looking, and touch it off then look around at all the wide eyes, shrug, and ask, "Everyone ok?"

blaksmth

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:36:43 AM »
  Like Pat McManus tells in one of his stories you will be able to show your kids a new trick ( Clapping your sholderblades together) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:09:07 AM »
Will,

I'm not sure why Stonewall Creek thinks building a blunderbuss is much different from anything else in the way of a long rifle or pistol or fowler.  I want to build another one that is just a plain working gun...no carving or engraving, just good architecture well executed.  The barrel, although larger in diameter, is a lot shorter than a fowler, lock inletting is exactly the same as is putting a trigger guard or butt plate in place.  In order to do any of these types of guns well the builder needs to have or to develop a proficiency with tools, manual dexterity, and an eye for the design.  (I am trying to improve all of those each time I start a new gun).  From my point of view, it is just as easy to learn while building a blunderbuss as anything else.  I say, don't let the bore size or Stonewall Creek intimidate you and go for it.

Best of luck.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
They only offer the one kit. I expect they include that caveat to hopefully warn those who might be bitten by the WOW factor of a blunderbuss but think its a snap, screw and glue together affair.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
Call up Troy at Stonewall,  He'll be able to best explain to you and help you decide if you have the skills to build it.  He's a great guy to deal with.

Pat McManus is the funniest outdoor writer out there.  I have a complete set of his books, and should start reading him again.  Only writer that makes me laugh, sneeze, @$#%, and burp at the same time.  It can be very unhealthy.  Have spewed much coffee, beer, bourbon out of my nose while reading Mr. McManus.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

mark_painter

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
Call up Troy at Stonewall,  He'll be able to best explain to you and help you decide if you have the skills to build it.  He's a great guy to deal with.

I'll second that. I've known Troy (and family) for quite a few years. Troy teaches the week long gun building class at 4-H Holiday Lake center near Appomattox, VA. I believe he's been doing that since around 2006, so he's worked with quite a few novice gun builders over the years, including myself. Give him a call, he'll be happy to talk to you about it.