Author Topic: Need help with information on this Kuchenreiter Long Rifle  (Read 10880 times)

floydh11

Need help with information on this Kuchenreiter Long Rifle
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »
I have this Long Rifle that I am having difficulty finding another one on the internet and information on the maker. On the barrel is the makers name silver inlaid Joh Andrea Kuchenreiter. The barrel is straight rifled with 7 very large and deep grooves and 30 1/2" long.  I believe that the flintlock plate is original with engraved JA Kuchenreuter and at some point was converted from flintlock to percussion. There are various brass inlays and a sliding patch box. The stock appears to possibly be Walnut and carved design with a head of a deer directly behind the receiver and also has a brass butt plate.

This was given to me by a freind of our family and was originally owned by her ex father in law who has since passed away.

Maybe someone can tell me how to post some picture here. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:02:36 AM by floydh11 »

Offline PPatch

Re: Need help with information on this Kuchenreiter Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »
Greetings, welcome.

I can't aid you in ID'ing your rifle but here is a tutorial on posting pictures to the site. Basically all you do is create a logon to a picture hosting site such as PhotoBucket, upload your pictures to the site and use the URL created to link those pictures here.

Here is the link to the tutorial: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Hope you get the information you seek.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:00 AM »
The Kuchenreuter/Kuchenreiter family of Bavarian gunsmiths is VERY well known.  I don't have my books out where I can look at them to see dates for Johann Andreas Kuchenreuter.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »
What a beautiful rifle!!! Thank you for showing it around. This is one of the best that I have ever seen. The previous owners liked it too, and must have used it some since it has been converted to percussion. Hope that you leave it as such. Thanks again.
Dick

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
If you have a true Kuchenreiter, you have a treasure.  I'll be in Rothenberg Germany in a couple of weeks.  I visit the city museum there each time I go.  They have a good sampling of Kuchenreiters there.  I'll compare for you.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
Hi Floyd,
The Kuchenreuters were one of the most prolific families of gunmakers in Europe.  It is odd that you could not find more info on the internet.  Johann Andreas Kuchereuter I (1716-95) was the son of Johann Christoph Kuchenreuter I (1670-1742) and made many highly decorated firearms in Regensburg, Germany.   He had a son, Johann Andreas II (1758-1808) who also made fine guns.  I suspect your rifle was made by the elder Johann Andreas because during the latter half of the 18th century they concentrated on less elaborate but very accurate rifles and pistols.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
Thanks for posting Floyd wonderful rifle.If you would be so kind to post some more pics we would be forever grateful :) :).Some pics of the carving on the buttstock and entry pipes,maybee the nose cap and anything else you would be willing to post.

THANKS!!!!
Mitch Yates

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Neat - thanks for posting that.

Is it stocked in curly maple?

Guy

floydh11

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
Thank you all for your response to this. Working this weekend but will post more picture in a couple of days. I have seen pistols by the maker and another Rifle by another member of the Kuchenreiter/Kuchenreuter family but no rifle by this maker. I also e-mailed the family in Germay and received an answer back from them stating that this Rifle is believed to have been made by Johann Andreas Kuchenreiter and that the different spellings of the last name is consistent.

Would appreciate any advice on proper care of this rifle.

Thanks
Floyd

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
German Gun Collectors Association:   http://www.germanguns.com/

EXtensive knowledge and interest in Jaegers

Hurricane

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
A local client of mine owns a Rifle by the same maker. His was converted to percussion in London.
Pretty much the same style mounts and carving. Congradulations on finding such a treasure.

I am always interested in acquiring more information for my research notes. I'd be happy to converse with you about your rifle.  Give me a call at 541-858-2800.

Ron
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:41:33 PM by Ron Scott »

eddillon

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 02:33:22 AM »
The Kuchenreuter/Kuchenreiter family of Bavarian gunsmiths is VERY well known.  I don't have my books out where I can look at them to see dates for Johann Andreas Kuchenreuter.

Floyd, as promised, I went to the city museum in Rothenberg, Germany.  It is about 20 yards from the front door of my "gasthaus"  Paid the extra 3 Euros for photography privileges.  There was aglass display case filled with 4 generations of Kuchenreiter masterpieces.  Here they are:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:33:43 PM by eddillon »

eddillon

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:43:10 AM »
More photos available.  I'll post if anyone is interested.  If you haven't been to Rothenberg, go if at all possible.  Touristy but dripping with museums, history, great food, people and beer.  These firearms are in the "Stadtmuzeum' and are courtesy of a Mr. Baumann.  Two halls full of fantastic firearms and weapons represent a small portion of his collection. 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 02:46:22 AM »
Awesome guns.  How did you get such good pictures through the glass? Mine are always near worthless.

eddillon

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:20 AM »
Canon G-7.  No flash.  These are not the best.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
Hello Ed,

I really like what Incan see of the upper most Rifle in the case. If you have more photos of it, I would be interested in seeing them.

Ron

eddillon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi Ron, PM me and I'll  email some to you.

eddillon

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
Ron,
Memory stick sent today.   :)
Ed

floydh11

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 06:20:10 AM »
Thank you Ed. Sorry that did not reply before now but have had no computer access. Awesome pictures. From what you saw, what is you opinion of the one that I have. I see so many of the similar characteristics. Again thank you and more pictures would be awesome.

Floyd

eddillon

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
More tomorrow.  I have NO doubt that you have a Kuchenreiter. I don't consider myself an expert but, I have studied enough of the work of the various Kuchenreiters to state that the workmanship matches what I hve seen. To say the very least, I am jealous.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:14:11 AM by eddillon »

floydh11

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
Thank you again Ed. Appreciate all the assistance. Possibly considering selling the rifle as I have no intent on shooting it and as far as displaying it, I would be the only one to really see it. I figure that there are those out there that would enjoy and appreciate it more than I. Also in the future myself and my wife have noone to pass this down to. So as stated considering selling it but trying to figure how to go about it and what the value may be on it.