Author Topic: Old Holsten  (Read 2972 times)

Offline little joe

Old Holsten
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
Somewhere on here there is a posting of a rifle build based on the rifle Old Holsten. Can anybody help?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Old Holsten
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
I vaguely remember the Old Holsten article . Here's one that Mitch Yates did several years back that might have been influenced by that rifle.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7346.msg69387;topicseen#msg69387

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
Hi, I think that rifle of Mitch's is a bench copy of the "Woodsrunner" rifle.  They all have code names, LOL, and it's hard to keep them straight.  I used to mix the Woodsrunner rifle up with the "feather rifle".

Wallace Gusler wrote about the Old Holston Rifle, an iron-mounted, walnut stocked "black rifle" in several Muzzle Blasts articles a few years ago.  It's a 1770's-attributed rifle with an open forged iron guard (like Ian's) but is plainer than Ian's that I posted the link to, above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:01:08 AM »
Cool! I guess I've been building "Old Holston" guns for years! :D ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »
Call 'em what ya want Mike, yours are great too. They MUST be to get my buddy Keb to get off HIS wallet!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!