Author Topic: Ever try this ??  (Read 9101 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Ever try this ??
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
Good luck!!   ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Jeff Peters

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »
Rodger,

I had luck here in Lancaster, PA in the winter, with a bucket of hot to warm water
I hung the barrel above the water and build a tee pee out of old sheets around the bucket and barrel, carefull not to touch the sheet to the barrel. It took a few days but it turned out nice.
Be sure to use baking soda solution to neutralize the LMF browning when your finished.
I warm my barrel when finished and run bees wax over it, then buff it out with a soft rag.
Gives it a nice finish and protects it from future rain etc.

Good luck
Jeff

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
Steve, I'm sure you are happy with your brown job.  But it would not please me in the least.  Your steel looks like your rifle has 100 years of neglect...pitted rust probably caused by water droplets forming on the metal.  But like I said, it may be just the look you are after.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Last winter about  this time I tried to brown a barrel  in the  shower stall,  hanging it  over a wet towel.  Used LMF and it never did a thing for several days. I finally took it down  and  rehung  it  in the cold garage overnight  and  it browned  by morning???    I just finished  browning parts on my bench in  the cold garage  and have a nice, fine-grained  brown  rust as  a  result. Go  figure. Could it be the  higher 'relative' humidity?
Gene