Author Topic: Another Lock Question?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Another Lock Question?
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
I have an original flintlock that I have been cleaning up and doing a few minor fix's. My main question is regarding the fact that it will drop the hammer at half cock, in and out of the rifle anytime the sear is depressed. I took everything apart and inspected the notches on the tumbler. Everything was pretty gunky with build-up (internal patina :D) so I soaked it all in mineral spirits and gave them a good brushing. When I reassembled it I found that the problem remained. Would the cause of this be from a worn tumbler notch or is there something else I should be looking for? The fly is mounted on the inside of the tumbler up against the lock plate and seems to be working fine. Any help here will sure be appreciated.........Joel
Joel Hall

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Lock Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »
Hi Joel,
Is the sear screw too tight and pinching the sear between the bridle and lockplate so that it does not fully drop into the half-cock notch?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
A picture here would make diagnosis so much easier.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
Worn tumbler notch or one with a bad angle seems most likely.  I'd take the mainspring out and put it in the half cock notch.  When you try to trip the sear, the cock should just perceptibly move backwards.  If not, the notch angle is wrong.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:08:10 AM »
Sometimes the tips of the sears are completely broken off. Then the lock got 'smithed over the years.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:15 AM »
I will try and get some pictures up in the morning on the internals. Thanks fella's for your thoughts. I always make it  a point to wander very slowly before putting a file or make changes to an old lock. I have often contemplated sending original parts to various experts for repair, but worry that to lose a lock in the mail would pretty much spoil a good rifle. I'm probably just being overly protective. Dave, I'll check the sear screw tension when I get back to the lock in the AM as well and let you know. That would be a sweet and easy fix!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:12:55 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

mattdog

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:40:06 AM »
"to lose a lock in the mail would pretty much spoil a good rifle. I'm probably just being overly protective."

Yes, I think you are.  I (we) send locks around all over the county all the time.  Best way is to use a small Priority Mail box supplied by the USPS.  Whatever, the fix for this problem is relitively simple for someone who knows what they are looking at.  Find a smith and send it off.