Author Topic: Basic polishing question  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Ezra

Basic polishing question
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:08:08 AM »
The thread on lock polishing raised a couple of questions for me as I know little about polishing.  What is a riffler?  Also, some speak of "stoning".  Does this mean whetstone, or similar?  Thanks guys.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Basic polishing question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Rifflers are basicaly files In different shapes and contours, also course to fine. Good to get into hard to reach areas of a Lock.
" not all who wander are lost"

mykeal

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
Stoning is using a fine polishing stone, similar to a whetstone. It's a polishing exercise to put a smooth finish on a surface.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
Ez,
Google Gesswein and look up rifflers.  These guys are the king of filing, stoning and polishing equipment.  Just be sitting down when you look at their prices.  They have the best and you know what they say, you get what you pay for.
DMR

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:15:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
I found what seems to be a pretty good source for decent quality riffler files.

http://www.shorinternational.com/FileRiffler.htm

They are not cheap however, and I assume it would be advisable to have both the “course” and “fine” cuts, so that effectively doubles the cost.  Can any of you who have done a fair amount of this kind of work (lock polishing) provide any tips as to which styles/shapes would generally be most useful.  I imagine that like carving chisels, there are some of these that you would use all the time, and others that you would never use.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

westbj2

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Riffler files...........I have a couple of sets of them.  I find they can be salvation (rarely) and more frequently the source of some frustration.  Without perfect light and ample magnification it is easy to dig holes, change angles, and install file marks nearly impossible to remove while polishing.  Conclusion for me is that while they look like the right tool often, be very careful with them.
Jim Westberg