Author Topic: Silk purse from a sow's ear?  (Read 5680 times)

smorrison

Silk purse from a sow's ear?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
I haven't posted much lately so I thought I'd put up this horn I finished a few days ago.  Last year at the West Coast Horn Fair in Morro Bay, California, John (Bigsmoke) Shorb gave a talk on choosing your horn.  He had several examples of horns with defects that would lend a person to pass on it when choosing.  One example that he recommended passing up was a thin, translucent, somewhat misshapened horn that had a severe delamination at the tip.  I was sitting in the back of the room with Skillman in "Heckler's" row and I just couldn't let this go by.  I told John something to the effect that this was nonsense and that there was a lot that one could do with the horn.  John came right back and said that when the horn came to me (it was being passed around the room) to go ahead and keep it.  The gauntlet had been taken off and the challenge issued; John was pretty much telling me to put up or shut up.  Well now honor was at stake and I could not back down.  So I took up the challenge and not only would I take this "Sow's Ear" and make some sort of "Silk Purse" with it, but it would come back to the West Coast Horn Fair in 2013 to be raffled off.

The horn sat in my to do box until recently when I decided that I needed to "get-r-done".  When I got back from the WCHF last year, all I had done with it was to cut off the tip and drill the spout.  I had originally thought that the horn would be good for a Southern banded horn with an applied tip and when I cut and drilled it, I saw that there was plenty of material for such a horn.

As you can see in the photo, there is approximately 1/2 inch at the tip, which would be plenty for an applied tip or even threaded for a screw tip.  The discoloration at the tip is where the internal separation of the horn layers occurred.  I decided on a horn with an applied antler tip.  I had turned a base plug and fitted a rear ring to the horn and when I did a trial fit of an antler tip the horn looked too long to my eye.   I ended up taking about 3/4 inch more off of the tip which improved the proportions.  There was still plenty of material at the tip so I had no problem fitting the antler.

Of greater concern to me wasn't the tip but the thinness of the horn.  When the horn was cleaned and polished, there was left humps and hollows from the sander that was used.  One side of the horn was also pretty flat.  Normally, there is enough wall thickness on a horn that I can work it to some semblance of round.  However, since this horn was so thin, I was afraid that if I tried to round it I might break through the wall.  The best I could hope for was to remove the humps and hollows and have a smooth body.  The flat spot would have to remain.

I first thought of having just one band on the horn, but decided that this would be too uninteresting so I went with three bands.  I heated the  bands so they were pliable and they slipped around the oblong shape of the body easily, leaving no gaps.  The base plug is walnut.  The button finial is turned horn and tapered to slip fit into the base.

The horn was stained with aqua fortis, then a patina applied with a combination of shoe polish and black powdered tempura paint (similar to what PA Horner recently posted).   It measures 15 inches along the outside curve and 2 1/4 inches across at the base.  The horn is nice and translucent and light as a feather.  I think it is an acceptable "Silk Purse" made from the "Sow's Ear" that was the original horn.

Scott M

FlintRock Rob

Re: Silk purse from a sow's ear?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
Scott,

That is really nicely done!

-Rob

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
  Horns are challenging enough to start with at times but throw in a Sows Ear and the challenge factor rises considerably. Nice work, Great tip.

Tim C.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
I would not be afraid to carry that "Sow's Ear" at all. You done good, Sir. That just shows what you can do when you have talent, of which I have none.

Ronnie

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:28 AM »
Wow! That's really NICE.
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:55 AM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

smorrison

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments, all.
Tim, I know that you have used shoe polish before, but I've just started playing around with it as a finishing.  I like the looks it gives.  Also, this is the second horn that I've turned a friction fit button finial (both from horn).  Have you ever tried this before?  I do know that some originals did have a friction fit finial...

Scott

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
   Of all the original banded horns I have seen I do not think I have ever seen a friction fit finial. Maybe they were of the same kind of wood as the base and the difference in the wood could not be seen. I am not saying they did not exist I just have never seen one. In Grinslade’s Powder Horns Documents of History on page 146 there is a horn attributed to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia that has a finial of Hickory fit into a base of another wood, but it is not banded.
 Now if a horn was dropped and the finial broken off a different kind of wood may have been used as a repair. Also I have never seen, once again doesn’t mean it was not used, a piece of antler or horn used as a finial. Then again in the last week I have seen 3 contemporary horns using it and they all look good. Once again could have been a repair done during the life of the horn, maybe off the bench. I would like to see original examples if any of you have them to further my education into these fascinating horns.   
  My thoughts, not gospel.

Tim C.

smorrison

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:16 AM »
Tim,
Great comments and discussion.  I used various elements that I've seen on horns, mostly photographs from the many books available, on this horn project.  It isn't intended to be a copy of any specific horn.  The Tansels, while not producing "Southern" horns did incorporate bands on their horns as well as antler and horn tips and friction fit buttons.  In Sibley's book on Southern Horns, in the photo section showing the Kendall Collection, there is a horn with a beehive type base plug with what appears to be a horn button finial.  Whether it is friction fit or glued in is unknown.  Several other original Southern horns in the gallery in his book show applied button finials of wood.  Sibley has used horn buttons on several of his banded horns.  I think I'm on safe ground at least with using a separately turned button finial and one of horn.  Whether any true Southern horns had friction fit finials, I don't know.  My gut feeling is not really.  This was somewhat of an experiment.  However, I don't think that we are that much different from the old horn makers; they had to have used what was available, and truthfully, I looked at my pile of horn tips out in my work area and thought "What can I do with them?" 

Again, I'm not saying that this is a true Southern horn, but I wanted to incorporate elements found or could have been found on those horns.  Great discussion and I'm with you in wanting more original examples of these horns.

Scott M

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
Folks, I am in temporary possession of this horn right now, and I will tell you that Scott's photos do not do it justice.  I am ever so happy that I gave him the challenge of doing something with a Sow's Ear - and that he took up the challenge.  Well, done, my friend, well done.

With all that being said, what's this about only being in temporary possession of the horn?  Well, it's simple.  Among other things, my lovely wife (Mrs. Smoke) and I are in charge of prizes for the West Coast Horn Fair.  After talking with Scott for a while on the telephone last night, we decided that the horn should be auctioned at the West Coast Horn Fair on April 26, 27 and 28 at the Capitol City Rifle Club in Little Rock, WA, just outside of Olympia.  So, if you would have an interest in owning the "Silk Purse", plan on attending this annual event and plan to wear your best bidding coat, because methinks the action will get intense.

Rather than distract with details of the Fair, I will give Dennis details about the event and he can post appropriately.

Thanks again, Scott.

John

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
Nice job and be proud to own her.  I must add that old saying "can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" brought back to me that quote was often used by a large insurance carrier's top underwriter when judging a risk!   Just t hought I'd throw that out there...

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:46 AM »
Scott,
   You continue to refine your craft. Excellent work as always.
I treasure my horn and it has brought me luck in the woods.
Horn number 13 might just be a lucky number for me.
Take Care,
Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

smorrison

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »
Hey Pat, glad to hear that you still use and treasure that horn!

Scott