Author Topic: Layout lines left on the stock  (Read 11734 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Layout lines left on the stock
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
Dan
Just because the moderators insist that you follow the same rules as all the other board members doesn't mean there is a conspiracy to suppress your opinions.Your views on barrel steels and breaching have been well covered as a quick search of your posts will attest.We do have a rule that we ask all members abide by;

4.  Defamatory characterizations of the products or services of specific vendors, manufacturers or makers.  Some discussion of products or services that may be construed by some to be negative will be allowed as long as they are specific, factual, objective and do not violate any other prohibitions such as the use of vulgar, obscene, or profane language.  

You are more  than welcome to express what you feel is proper barrel steel and breaching (as you have on numerous occasions)but attacking specific vendors whoever they may be is prohibited.This rule applies to all vendors and all members.

Mitch Yates
ALR Moderator
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:14:39 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline okawbow

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
I have made many violins, violas, and cellos. I've studied and repaired several antique violins and cellos. Most have layout lines that are still visible if you know where to look. The big time collectors think something is wrong with certain makers violins that don't show these layout marks. Either the violin was refinished or fake.

I think most of the good gun makers of the 18th century were simply making guns the way they were taught. They weren't trying to make perfect works of art; just good guns for a price that people could afford.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 01:35:24 AM »
I have made many violins, violas, and cellos. I've studied and repaired several antique violins and cellos. Most have layout lines that are still visible if you know where to look. The big time collectors think something is wrong with certain makers violins that don't show these layout marks. Either the violin was refinished or fake.

I think most of the good gun makers of the 18th century were simply making guns the way they were taught. They weren't trying to make perfect works of art; just good guns for a price that people could afford.

Well said Okawbow.

Frank