Author Topic: Damascus Dagger (New Sheath Finished)  (Read 5351 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Damascus Dagger (New Sheath Finished)
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
No time for big projects...really busy testing rocket and continuous detonation wave engines (CDWE).  However, I need to keep from going crazy (or any crazier) by doing something, so I made up this dagger to keep my hands occupied.  Not too sure what to do with it, but I like the look of it.  Right now it makes a dandy letter opener.  Now for the sheath.

Also...note to self... sharpen the blade LAST........this one was too sharp to work on, without a lot of band aids!

Finished the sheath.  Nothing fancy but it will keep me from cutting myself any more than necessary !

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:56:36 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Damascus Dagger
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
Hi Dave,
Beautiful!!

"Note to self: pants before shoes"

dave
(now where are my teeth?)
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
Beautiful Dave!  It shouts, "I have an affinity for flesh!"
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
 Wow Dave...just Wow!

Tim C.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:18 AM »
Also...note to self... sharpen the blade LAST........this one was too sharp to work on, without a lot of band aids!

Or you could put the bandaids - or at least some tape and cardboard - over the the edge.  ;D

Very nice dagger, dave. Did you make the damascus yourself?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »
That is a serious looking dagger Dave and beautiful to boot. Oh, wait a minute... boot knife, yeah... (naww, it would probably cut your foot off just for spite).

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »
  Not too sure what to do with it, but I like the look of it.  Right now it makes a dandy letter opener.  Now for the sheath.

If I can make a suggestion on what to do with,it involves my address :o,Don't worry about the sheath,just put tape on the edge.

One fine knife there Dave! Again! You are one of a few here that continually blow me away with your work. Outstanding! Hate to see what you come up with if you put your mind to it.

Ps,continual detonation will NOT out perform solar sail! Just sayin'.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57:26 AM »
BEAUTIFUL BLADE DAVE!!!
I can see I need to fold my next attempt at Damascus steel more than only three times.  thanks for sharing.

Rich

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Great looking project as always.  I love the damascus pattern as well as the finish to make ithe pattern pop.  Your brass has just the right amount of discoloration for me.  What do you use to patina your brass?
David

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
Dave, most beautiful and well made knife. The pattern in the blade is gorgeous. You do make some wonderful gadgets!!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
Thanks to all.

Dave - yes, pants before shoes...I'll remember

Taylor - now that you mention the "flesh" thing.....it's starting to look like something a Viking would have on his belt.

Tape on the edges....yes, I did that, but apparently I didn't use enough tape.

Elnathan - No, I didn't forge the blade.  I bought a rough forging from a fellow in India and then shaped, heat treated, and etched the blade.  It was a good forging and it cost $25 !  I couldn't buy the coal for that much.

Dave Rase - I use the same stuff Jim Kibler uses - Brass Darkening Solution from Historic House Parts.

Made a sheath for the dagger today.  I'll post a picture when I can get one taken.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:27:02 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

roamer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
WOW if I may, where did yiu obtain the steel or did you hammer it out yourself

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
Roamer,

Got the blade blank here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Handmade-Damascus-steel-Fixed-Blade-german-dagger-Hunting-Knife-blank-/181090852094?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2a29db1cfe

These look like they are finished, but they are not.  The blank is shaped but way too thick at the edges.  The blank I received needed considerable re- shaping, re-heat treating, and then re-etching to bring out the pattern.  For $25 plus $10 to get it from India to me in the US, I thought it was a good deal, but don't expect the blade to be ready to go when you get it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:29:22 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780