Author Topic: 36 cal. squirrel rifle pics  (Read 6936 times)

Offline StevenV

36 cal. squirrel rifle pics
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:00:37 AM »
I have posted some pics of rifle just finished. Mostly for your viewing pleasure as so many others on this site post pics(thanks). By all means questions , comments (good and bad) , broad shoulders. This rifle certainly doesn't touch the quality of many others on this site but overall I personally think it's just plan neat. Thanks in advance. Steve

R.D.Metcalf

Re: 36 cal. squirrel rifle pics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »
Thats  a  dandy.  8)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »
That is a great looking rifle! Can you give us some more details about the rifle?

Barrel length, and maker
trigger
trigger guard
lock
etc.

Thanks
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline duca

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:44 AM »
Wow! That's really nice man. Great job.
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:13:25 AM »
Nothing to hang your head about on that rifle, very well done my friend.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:30 AM »
Bama is right! Very nice. Not Mark Silver or Jim Kibler nice,but very good none the less! Absolutly nothing to be shy about on this gun!

But then,VERY few reach that level anyway,God know's I NEVER will!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
Nice rifle Steven, I like it, the finish work on the stock is outstanding. The relief carving is nicely done, I note the incised carving on the forestock and especially the molding work. Very crisp. Nice brass work on the trigger guard too. If I were to offer a criticism (constructive I hope, and given in that spirit) it would be the wire inlay work on the butt, seems to my eye a bit timid and not quite developed to potential. I know that incorporating wire work into carving takes some doing. You were bold in attempting it.

Please tell me about your finishing methods, did you sand or scrap to achieve that pleasing form? What stains and finish did you use? I am more and more into darker finishes so please tell me what you did. Thank you for posting your work.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
Architecture, carving and wood finish are appealing to me.  The lock and barrel look aged by comparison with the stock.  Matter of taste but everything looks well executed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »
Steven, thats one awesome rifle. The carving is very nice. Well done.One thing that I find that doesnt quite mesh with the overall flow is the wire inlay, like Ppatch noted above , it needs more developement. I too commend you for giving it a try. I am sure that in the future , as your talent develops, your wire inlaying will also . Now dont take this the wrong way , the rifle is beautiful overall and I definetly think you did a good job, but the wire inlay style just doesnt fit in.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

pushboater

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
Steven V,
     Beautiful rifle! Great job.  I particularly like the almost golden undertones you achieved on your staining.  Finishing details?

Offline StevenV

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments, the pics are there for questions so hopefully I can answer them to help. Gun was for the most part modeled after an Andrew Fichthorne original I was lucky enough to study for some time. Rice "B" weight swamp barrel  42"(next time "C" weight) don't feel as though enough width at breech to get all the benefits of building a gun with a swamp barrel.Trigger guard Reeves #1, Butt Reeves #8, trigger pull 13 1/2" , weight 8lbs. Topknot and Dave I hear your wire inlay comments and can see your point. I also thought the same , first gun with wire inlay, learned more then I could've imagined. The credit goes to Larry Gardner for the courage and knowledge to try. Rich I have heard your browning comment before not 100% sure I agree. It is the look I was trying to attain. I do respect your opinion hopefully we can talk more at Dixon's. Do you attend? I have my reason for going this direction with lock and barrel finish. The stock was finished with files, then one coat of alcohol, then scraped, then nitrate of iron generously ( about the only stain I use),let dry over night apply LMF honey maple, let dry all day and then heat (stove) good amount of time just don't burn edges. After heat steel wool vigorously ( took 4 "balls" of wool)then linseed oil, steel wool again, more steel wool. Then days later linseed oil, this linseed oil mix is made by an old timer at our shooting club, I am sure lots of stuff that is not supposed to be in there is in there. I literally used 4 drops to rub the entire stock. Thank God for the old timers they are priceless. Hope this answers finish questions Dave and Topknot.       Steve

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »
Thank you sir, I repeat, fine looking shoot'n iron!
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:03 AM »
I think ya did a great job. I love the dark finish
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:20:58 AM »
Steven, Overall ,you did a great job!!!  Keep on building.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »
What was your method of aging for the lock and barrel to achieve the patina. I like it! Very well done rifle!