Author Topic: Leather Dye sealer?  (Read 29269 times)

Offline cmac

Leather Dye sealer?
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
What can I put over fiebing's leather dye to keep it from sweating out onto clothes?

Offline Hornbuilder

• Starting Member
Re: Leather Dye sealer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »
Just a thought but hows about a coat of bee's wax to seal the bag ??

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:50:15 AM »
 Any clear finish, or just good old bees wax, and linseed oil. But, none of these finishes will keep leather dye from sun fading. I use it as a secondary stain in some cases, but never a the primary one.

Hungry Horse

RoaringBull

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »
I usually dye the bag, and then let it soak in cold water a few days, switching the water very often and wringing the bag out. That gets most all of the excess dye out.

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »
My immediate concern was for knife sheaths, although I do make bags, belts and other leather items off and on. I like to shape the knife sheaths around the knife wet. Let that dry then dye. I don't want to ring it out because this will take away from the forming I have done and maybe stretch the leather as well. I had a pack once I used beeswax and linseed oil on and the mix ate into the leather and cracked it bad. I've been thinking of spraying them with camp dry, allowing that to dry and following with mink oil???? Another thought was shellac??? Anyone tried it?

What do commercial sheathes or pistol holsters have?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:14:01 AM by cmac »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »
I use Fiebling's "Tan-Kote" protective finish over the dye.  Never had any problem with sweating.

Use it on bags and other leather things I make as well:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:57:21 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline cmac

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »
Sounds good Dave. Where do you get it and have you been in the rain with no issues?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
I once had a can of spray lacquer that sealed the leather and dye very well.  Stinks like all get out though, until it dries.  Works well for sheaths and holsters.  I also used it on the leather covering on a targe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ROSIE

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
I've used Tandys Eco dyes with veg tan leather and never had any trouble.But I just tried it on some bark tan that I made myself and it washed out.Its nice stuff because it is water based and has no oder.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
Cmac,

Got it from Tandy's.  Haven't been in the rain, but fell in a creek once or twice with no problems...does that count?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
Thanks Dave. Yeah I think falling in the creek would count-maybe even better test ;D

JoeG

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
neutral shoe polish works good but may need two coats

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
Tandy has a couple of products like bagkote like Dave mentioned and there are a few others.
Some guys making pistol holsters and the like are using a 50/50 mix of water and mop/n/glow airbrushed on followed by a light coat of neutral shoe paste.
Burnish the leather after dying to remove as much surface residue as possible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:18:07 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »
Cmac;

I should have asked you what you were dying with leather dye. I was thinking wood, because so many builders use leather dye for that purpose. For leather, the majority of the products leather companies sell is some kind if acrylic clear. Which means artists clear acrylic in gloss or matte will work, but the acrylic clear floor finishes will work as well. You will get a very unnatural shine from the gloss acrylic coatings. If you want an aged look use the artists acrylic clear in semi-gloss. This stuff can be mixed with water, chalk line chalk, and, or masonry tinting powder, to achieve the look of native American paint on wood, rawhide, skulls, or leather.

Hungry Horse

Offline cmac

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
I make many items out of leather. Many (if I'm the user) I don't bother sealing because I don't try to keep my primitive clothes perfect. However if it is something I am to sell I do want it sealed. I have used traditional sealers in the past such as bear grease or dear tallow. I haven't had any rancid issues yet, as long as it was applied thin. I consider using commercial products to better seal in the dye. Some items I like to keep rigid such as knife sheathes and gun holsters, etc....Things I want to retain their shape. Do these sealers you all have mentioned make the leather supple?