Author Topic: Barrel Lugs revisited  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Barrel Lugs revisited
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »
Checked the tutorials on Acer's lug tutorial, as a review.  It didn't cover swamped barrels, though it probably doesn't matter.  As I recall  Allen Martin covered it in his building discussion at Dixon's.  I think he solders his lugs.  Can't remember now, didn't take notes,  or video it, guess I'll try and remember to do it this year.  The last three i have done were on straight barreled Southern guns, and i just used a standard tenon.  I have a two part question.  On a swamped barrel do you cut in and solder or use shallower tenons on either side of the waist.  Second if you solder, do you just cut a flat recess and solder or make it a tenon for more strength, and what type of heat source do you use, Mepp, Propane, or Oxy Acetylene.  It's a 44" slim Sub B-weight, and I sure don't want to cut any closer than 6" from the waist.  Hibernated most of the Winter, and just now starting on my Winter build. 
Thanks

Bill

Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Barrel Lugs revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
Bill
Here is a link to how I do them.I don't cut any deeper than 0.025- 0.030 . Link;http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20144.0

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:16:19 AM by aka tallbear »

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
Whenever I put lugs on the longer barrels wher a lug falls at the narrow part of the barrel I just solder it to the flat. So three lugs are dovetailed in and one at the waist is soldered on. Never had a problem they hold great (you're only holding on a sliver of wood). Just remember to inlet a little space for the lug in the barrel channel before you pin it.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
I usually dovetail all the lugs except for the one closest to the waist, that one gets soldered. DON'T forget to oil the bore of your barrel after any soldering. Otherwise you will probably wind up with a rusty section of the bore. The heat from soldering vaporizes the oil from the surface of the bore.  BJH
BJH

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:05:17 AM »
If you look at how some underlugs are dovetailed in fowler and trade gun barrels, it becomes clear that soldering on isn't necessary in nearly any rifle barrel.  If you raise material for the dovetail, the actually slot can be very shallow.  In the order of .020" will work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:06:28 AM by Jim Kibler »