Author Topic: 55  (Read 5306 times)

Offline The Original Griz

« on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »
degrees in the second wee of  March in Pennsylvania doesn't happen that often so I was left with no choice but to call all the guys and have a shoot. started the log skidder at 8am to plow the road out and we started shootin at 1:00. had 12 shooters and a dang good day. We sure have a great bunch of guys. what a great way to spend a day in the woods.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Griz5045/SS850100_zps100fad43.jpg[/img]]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Griz5045/SS850099_zps18aa1f5c.jpg[/img]]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:44:00 PM by Griz »
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline b bogart

Re: 55
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
Looks like a good time Griz!!!

Offline little joe

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
Looks like the guy in second photo has his rifle pointed at the shooters butt. I realize it ain,t loaded and primed or capped, or is it. Bad safty practice.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
Good pic's! It's alway's a great way to spend a day. In the wood's with a bunch of Bud's shootin' an palaverin'! We usually drag a bucket-O-grub with us too!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
little joe
Looks like the guy in second photo has his rifle pointed at the shooters butt. I realize it ain,t loaded and primed or capped, or is it. Bad safty practice.

Little Joe, that fellow is lucky if he loads while on the line. He is VERY slow. Safety is our main thing, we make them all listen to a long safety speech before we even go out on the range.

pathfinder
Good pic's! It's alway's a great way to spend a day. In the wood's with a bunch of Bud's shootin' an palaverin'! We usually drag a bucket-O-grub with us too!

Pathfinder, we do our shooting and back at camp our food is simmering over a good campfire.... I think we just use shootin to get together and eat darn good food on a fire ;)
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
It's great to see your pictures, and I wish more guys would do the same.  Regarding the careless pointing of the rifle thing...be vigilant on the trail guys, and don't be afraid to point stuff like that out.  For some reason when we're in the bush, and in a bit of a group, it's easy to get careless of where your muzzle is pointing.  If you can get your buds to carry their rifles pointing straight up, you can avoid that.
Your woods are different - ours has a lot more coniferous trees, which often puts the targets in shadow.  And we've got around 2 1/2 feet of the white stuff, so you can't step off the beaten path.  It's good to see your group making the effort to dress the part too.  thanks for posting the pics.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »
Our woodswalk a week ago looked just like that! Today it is all gone!
Tom C.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Your woods are different - ours has a lot more coniferous trees, which often puts the targets in shadow
Taylor,
The difference is that your conifers stay the same all year round.  When our trees leaf out, you have to shoot thru the leaves.  Some targets are purposely set that way because they would be too easy otherwise.  On two of them, you have to squat to see the target.

We finally had our woodswalk again after 1.5 years of disinterest.  Myself and another guy decided we would start shooting again, even if we were the only two.  As it turned out, 4 of us showed up but I think that'll be a high count.

The standard list of excuses......it's too hot, it's too cold, it's raining here, it's turkey season, it's deer season, the crappie are hitting, there are too many ticks, etc. etc etc.

I was going to take my camera, but forgot it.  Also left my ramrod leaning in the corner of the shop, but we were all shooting 45's and 50's so I used the other guys.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline b bogart

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
I hear you Dave. Last year while trying to get this going we had about 6,7, maybe 8 shooters. I think we just may have a dozen maybe more each month. I'm hoping it grows from there.

Oh and Dave one of our shooters laid his ramrod down last fall, and despite 5 of us looking for it we could not find it. This year the second trailwalk, he walked right up to that station and saw it! Those pesky ramrods are problematic :D

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
Griz I,m 71 years  of age, and 45yrs of black powder shooting. Bad safety is bad safety period. If I cannot follow proper safety send my @#! to the liars bench to observe ,which is where he belongs. Lil Joe
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:45:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline duca

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »
Wow! Thats great.
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:22:49 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun; and no one got their butt shot off. ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.