Author Topic: My folding knife  (Read 4273 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

My folding knife
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
  Inspired by the one posted a few weeks ago, I made one.      Then it was either lost or stolen at work. The first two pics will be the first knive

Now, Wanting to make a knife from a chainsaw chain.  This is my second try.  You can shave with it

Now you see the reason I've been asking about etching Damascus Steel.  The Vinegar worked, but not as well as Ferric Chloride.
   I am working on two more folders, Both Damascus.

Rich.

You just never know when something you post will inspire someone to try something different.

Swinging the hammer the past few day's and Ive lost over an inch of belly fat.

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: My folding knife
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Very nice, you put a lot of effort into forging that blade and it looks like it will serve you well for many years to come.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline duca

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:29:47 AM »
Very Cool! Nice... ;)
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:04:16 AM »
Great work Rich.  I gotta learn how to do some blacksmithing.
I have the stuff and don't know how to use it.  Shameful.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:00:19 AM »
Great work Rich.  I gotta learn how to do some blacksmithing.
I have the stuff and don't know how to use it.  Shameful.

The same way I'm learning, read,watch someone else, watch YouTube and just try.  It took me three year's to get two pieces of steel to weld. But I also have no teacher. I see, I try. Burned up a lot of coal and metal. had, have many failures. But having something turn out better than you expected, now that feels good.

Thank you for the compliments

Rich

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »
Rich, nice knives. The filework really adds to their appeal. Using it (them) will be a great pleasure. I get a lot of personal satisfaction from making and using my own tools.  Good on you  ;D...   Kerry

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Nice work Rich, liked your last horn that you posted and the knives are pretty sweet---pretty good for a Mountaineer--our ancestors would be proud.  Poorboy Flint (I changed the name you see on my post due to the hackers)

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:42 PM »
Very nice knives. I've been wanting to make some more knives. I'm inspired. I agree about the learning. I was afraid to try forge welding for a long time. I do the same as you, read everything I can get my hands on and experiment. I was very fortunate to find an experienced blacksmith locally who is willing to share and I find I often learn more in a few hours spent with him in the shop than a winter reading.
 I've burned up a lot of metal too! I've never done any Damascus, when you temper do you leave them full hard or draw them back some?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »

I've burned up a lot of metal too! I've never done any Damascus, when you temper do you leave them full hard or draw them back some?
[/quote]
  Dave,  I'm really not sure how to answer that.  Ian Pratt sent me a book on custom knife making, there's a chapter that deals with tempering.  I pretty much follow the instructions with the colour shades  yellow to blue and quench in oil.  Sharpen then finish.  Wish I could answer, I just don't know.  Give forge welding a try. When you succeed, man what a rush.

Rich