Author Topic: waterproof a full lenght raincover for a rifle  (Read 4191 times)

Offline sonny

waterproof a full lenght raincover for a rifle
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »
hello......I am tired of messing with a small calfsknee for lock protection from the weather.I have hand stiched a full lenght cover from pellowticking with a cupped pocket over muzzle end,and a fold over middlesection with a few pewter buttons  to close up when not hunting.I need to waterproof the cloth in a period type way so the period correct crew won't frown upon my efforts...sonny

Offline alex e.

Re: waterproof a full lenght raincover for a rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Linseed oil.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
   Sonny,
    Years ago,before Sunforger, I used to waterproof my canvas tents  with a concoction of kerosene and parafin. I believe it was just called "Canvas Waterproofing". Purchased from an Army surplus store. Just a thought.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
Here is what I use.  ;D ;D It is awesome. Canvas with Linseed oil and beeswax I believe. I have used it several time hunting in the rain. When you are needin to shoot you just point the rifle at the ground and it gently and quietly slips off........ :)  So much better and easier than a cow's knee. :) :) :)

http://www.cdlyles.com/  go to page 1 of the "trade blanket" and scroll about half way down....

Curt willl treat you right!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »
I purchased one of Curt's canvas covers and I agree he treats you right and the cover works fantastic.  It poured opening day of gun season and I carried my flintlock and never got wet.  No deer but she fired at the end of day.  Normally I would have used my CO2 discharger but none of my hunting companions who all used modern rifles would believe it would go off so I showed them.    :o :o

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »
So, how small is that cows knee, Sonny?  IMHO, people make 'em too short to work right. The only original I have seen, and those in photos are pretty long.

In my experience, and based on originals, a good cows knee should reach down the wrist, to at least the point of the comb, and down the forearm for at least a foot in front of the lock. IMHO, longer is better though. Nor do they need to be tied in place when still hunting, or stand hunting.

A cows knee can be removed as easily as the 3/4 length cover offered by Curt Lyles.

IMHO, the only real difference in a historically correct cows knee and the one offered by Lyle, is the cows knee is fitted to the contours of the gun, where the 3/4 cover is not. The cows knee is also somewhat shorter and doesn't cover the muzzle as the 3/4 cover does.

Either option will work, if properly made and applied. And neither will get you a ticket from the "authenticity police."

As for water proofing, linseed oil, mixed with oil based artists paints ,and thinned with mineral spirits work well, but seems to take forever to dry.

The pigment seems to help fill the voids in the fabric, while the linseed oil binds the pigment to the fabric, in addition to soaking into the threads.

Re boiled linseed oil blended with hot beeswax, applied hot, will also provide good water proofing.

I suggest washing your ticking in HOT water, several times to shrink and tighten the weave prior to applying any waterproofing. A tighter weave will help with water proofing.

God bless,
J.D.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:59:02 PM by J.D. »