Author Topic: Where do they shoot at in Southern Ohio ???  (Read 8487 times)

2lookindown

Where do they shoot at in Southern Ohio ???
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
I'm looking for some places to shoot and have some fun and get to know the people of the "Muzzleloader"... I was wondering if anyone knew where they shoot at down my way.... Any info would greatly be appreciated...

Offline b bogart

Re: Where do they shoot at in Southern Ohio ???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:14:04 AM »
Depends on how far south. I shoot in the Lancaster area.

2lookindown

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
I'm at Hillsboro About 30 miles off of the river dead south of Columbus...

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:29 AM »
Some of the Dayton or Cincinatti boys ought to be able to help??

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:09:06 AM »
You could get a listing of all of the charter clubs affiliated with the NMLRA from their website at NMLRA.org.
They will be listed by state and I know that you will find a few in your general area. The Lock and Mold Shop, in Jackson Ohio, Larry Zorn, will also be a good source of information.
Mark
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:24:48 AM by smokinbuck »
Mark

2lookindown

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
I figured a few of the local shooters would get on here ??? I guess I was wrong "AGAIN"...

Thanks for the info guys...

galudwig

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
Hello 2lookingdown,

Not technically southern Ohio, but here are two organized clubs that are relatively close to Hillsboro:

Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club: https://sites.google.com/site/cmlgc1/  ;D
It's up near Columbus in Darbydale.  I work in Columbus and live near Greenfield, so it's not that bad a drive (we have two guys who come to the shoots each month from Eastern Ohio, which is about a 2.5 hr. drive).  I've been a member of this club since 1996 and we have a great bunch of shooters here.  Next shoot is March 24.

Bill Moose Muzzleloading Gun Club: https://sites.google.com/site/billmoosegunclub/home  Many of the same guys who belong to the Columbus Club also belong to this club, so it's there's a great bunch of shooters here as well.  ;)  Next shoot is April 6 & 7.

There are other organized clubs in Cinci, Dayton, And Xenia, but have never been to their shoots.  I went to a Groundhog Day Shoot at the Xenia club many years ago where they shoot at eggs dangling on strings at various distances for the prize of a frozen chicken.  That was a BLAST!  You can find info for the other Ohio Charter Clubs at this link: http://nmlra.org/business-directory/wpbdm-category/ohio/

I know that the Miami Rifle & Pistol Club: http://www.miamirifle-pistol.org/muzzleloading.php has monthly shoots.  I've never shot at this club, but once again we have a few shooters from here that come to the Columbus shoots each month too.

By the way, do you belong to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association?  If not, please consider joining us as we need your membership and support.

Hope this helps.

galudwig

2lookindown

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
Galudwig, Thanks for the info....I will join the NMLRA soon. I will look at there site and try and track down some shoots close to home.... Again thanks guys...

Offline ohidan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
Wolf Creek Cap Snappers shoot the 4th. Sunday of each month May-Nov. contact Lars Lutton 740-767-2909 This is right outside of Chesterhill Oh. I've never shot there but I do know some of the guy's and they seem like a good group.
ohidan

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »
I just joined NMLRA a week ago so I haven't received any information yet.  There is a shoot just a little north of Xenia the second Saturday of April.  I was planning on attending that shoot and then Sunday head over to Lancaster, OH to shoot the woods walk shoot.
For the Columbus guys - can you post an address for your shoots?

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:44 AM »
Don,
I shoot primarily with the Ohio Valley Muzzleloading Gun Club and our home range is in Centerburg, about 25-30 miles northeast of Columbus. I have posted our shoot dates and location on the post below this one, shooting events 2013. If you contact the NMLRA they have schedules for all the clubs, that are chartered, in the whole state. That list will have contact names and information.
Mark
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:53:56 AM by smokinbuck »
Mark

galudwig

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »

For the Columbus guys - can you post an address for your shoots?

Columbus Muzzle Loading Gun Club: 5847 SR 665, Grove City (Darbydale), OH 43123

Bill Moose Muzzle Loading Gun Club: 801 Greensway Ave., Darbyville, OH 43164

galudwig

2lookindown

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
I found a shoot down around Portsmouth... That is about 45 min. from me... Columbus is getting  a little too far to travel... About 1:45 or so but may travel up there sometime... I can be at Friendship in 1:30....

William Worth

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »
Tell me more about the shoot around Portsmouth.  I am from there, but no longer live there.  It was the birthplace of the NMLRA and I hope that the sport revives someday.

2lookindown

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
William, It is at Shawnee I have not been there yet But Dick Ryan and myself are going to travel down there and shoot with them and try to help them out a little... I will find out the where abouts and get back to ya...

William Worth

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 02:20:34 AM »
My bet is it's on Lower Twin Creek (in Shawnee State Forest).  There was the "Portsmouth Rifle Club" I believe it was that shot there.

Yes, please tell me more when you find out.

2lookindown

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »
That club is the Daniel Boone rifle club... It is in Shawnee and they shoot on the 1st and 3rd Sundays.... I haven't been down there yet but I will sneak in on them real soon.... It should be about 40-45 miles from me...