Author Topic: Question for the knife makers  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Question for the knife makers
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »
I'm working on a knife that will have the tang thru the handle and peened over an end cap, but I've never done one before.

How much of the tang should I leave sticking out past the end cap for peening? 

Is the peening done cold or hot?

Any other advice or things to watch for?

Thanks for any help you can offer?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline jrb

Re: Question for the knife makers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
In one of the "Blacksmithing with Hershel House" dvds he demonstrates forging and assembling one of his "backwoods" style antler handled knives.
He drilled the antler with a hand held electric drill from each end until he felt the holes meet, then he bent the knife's tang cold in his hands, to fit the antler's curve.
I think,if i remember right , he said the tang length 1/8" above the washer. He picked a drill bit slightly smaller than the tip of the tang and drilled the cap, kind of a washer looking styled one in this case, then filed a square or rectangular hole that fit the tang tip VERY snuggly, he stressed a nice perfect fit here. (he had already, after forging, fully annealed the entire blade and tang so it would be as soft as possible)Then, after filing to refine the blade shape, hardening and tempering the blade but with the tang still fully annealed, the knife with handle and cap in place, held in a vise, and a medium sized ballpein hammer, using the ball pein he lightly peined the tang, while it was cold, not heated.
 The thing that impressed me though, was the amount of drawing out of the steel to make this thing. He took a piece of antique buggy spring that looked like maybe 1/4 to 3/8" thick and, while hot, hardied and chiseled it to a kinda stubby triangle, then chiseled two cuts out of one corner to make a stubby tang, then with a 2 pound cross pein hammer drew out, way out, the blade and tang to length.

I think i'd do a trial mock-up in a vise for peining practice on a tang like piece of steel and cap to be sure the 1/8" was enough or not too much length though.
john
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:43:15 PM by jrb »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »
  Pretty much what jrb said, except when I do them I file the top edges off of the tang, kind of rounding them. This lessens the chances of edge cracking and usually prevents a sharp edge on the finished job. I also file the edges of the hole to give a countersink effect. More or less you are making a rivet connection.  If you achieve a snug fit, you will not need a lot above the hole, but you can always file off  any unneeded excess. The higher the tang out of the hole, the harder it will be to peen down, and more the chance of cracking the edges. Mild steel is easier to peen, so I run my tangs shorter than the grip and finish the length with a silver brazed and pinned lap joint, with a piece of mild steel.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »
Really nice knives LRB, obviously well crafted. love that octagon handled one.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:28:26 AM »
Another riveting tip: match the weight of your hammer to the weight of your piece. That way the inertia of your piece comes into play and it will have less tendency to move in the vise.

Once it is work hardened from riveting that steel won't move. It doesn't take much of the tapering/countersinking that LRB wrote about to allow you a flush headed rivet.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:38:49 AM »
John, Wick and CR,

Thank you so much for the great information.  Good advice, I'll work on some practice pieces this weekend.  The countersink/rivet analogy makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the pictures, what great knives!  I'll let you know how it goes.

-Ron
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:39:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie