Author Topic: This forum is for complete research only!!!  (Read 11095 times)

Dutch

This forum is for complete research only!!!
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
error
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:45:54 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Don Getz

Dutch.........I am a little confused.   You stated that it has a "single" barrel, but is a "double shot".   What do you mean by
this?  Is it a single barrel or double barrel?...Just curious.   Another thing, Remington made barrels, but I don't think they
actually made guns like this...........Don

zimmerstutzen

I have a book about the history of Remington and old Elias made a bundle making barrels for other makers.  I have an old original gun with a barrel stamped Remington.  It has a Goulcher lock.  

There were some very rare double and triple shot single barrel guns made in the early percussion days.  A shooter would load two or three loads one on top the other and there would be more than one nipple a few inches apart to ignite the lead charge and then the next rearward nipple would be fired.  A few decades ago, at the Allentown (PA) Gun Show, I saw a pistol with 4 nipples and a sliding percussion lock that would slide along the barrel to line up with the nipples.    There were all manner of problems with such guns.  The loads had to be just right so the powder charges lined up with the nipples, the patch ball wad combo had to be rather tight to keep the flame from reaching back and igniting the next charge back etc.  

But there were indeed double shot single barrel percussion guns.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:34:00 PM by zimmerstutzen »

zimmerstutzen

here's a link to diagrams of a superimposed flinter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposed_load

Offline Don Getz

Re: This forum is for complete research only!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
I saw your "stage" name...."zimmerstutzen".     Are you familiar with the "zimmer stutzen" guns?  The reason I am asking
is the fact that a local pharmacist asked me if I knew anything about them.   He has one, rear sight is missing, but would
like to sell it.  Have any info that would be helpful? .........Don