Author Topic: welding  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
welding
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »
Just read the thread on welding.  For the welding challenged (me) could someone please explain what TIG and MIG stand for and the difference between them. Thanks.

scott

Re: welding
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:19 AM »
TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas welding. MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas welding.TIG welding uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to initiate and maintain the arc while filler rod is added to the molten pool by hand. MIG welding uses a spool of wire that is continuously fed into the pool.The wire short circuits against the base metal very fast forming the molten pool and maintaining the arc.Of the two,TIG is the most difficult to master due to the eye/hand coordination needed to add the wire while advancing the molten pool.
           scott

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
With TIG, you can put two parts next to each other, and melt them together. You can add wire by hand if you want to build up that joint. Argon gas flows thru the handle to keep the weld from oxydizing.

WIth MIG, you have two parts, and you melt a wire into the joint. the wire is fed automatically thru the handle of the torch. MIG also has gas running thru the torch, correct me if I am mistaken.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
Proper terminology is

Stick - SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding)
Used coated consumable electrodes operating on a "constant-current" welding source.

MIG - GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) operates on a "constant-voltage" welding source.
variations of GMAW:
FCAW - (Flux-Core Arc Welding)
SAW - (Submerged Arc Welding)

GMAW uses a constant-feed consumable bare filler wire and the arc is shielded by inert gas.  For common steel applications the gas is a 75/25 argon/CO2 mixture or straight CO2 - variations include many different mixtures for different methods such as spray and globular transfer as well as for other alloys such as stainless steel.

FCAW uses a constant-feed consumable tubular filler wire containing a flux mixture.  The arc is self-shielded by a combination of inert gas and slag generated by the flux contained within the wire.  A commonly misrepresented variation of FCAW is known as "dual-shield" which is a tubular wire containing flux but also requires an additional inert shielding gas but this process correctly comes under GMAW because it requires the additional gas shielding.

SAW uses a constant-feed consumable filler wire that can be either solid or tubular with either a flux or powdered metal filler.  The powdered flux is added separately and covers the entire weld surface, the arc remains submerged within the flux.

TIG - GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) as stated by others, the arc is drawn between a non-consumable electrode tungsten alloy and operates on a "constant-current" welding power source.  Most commonly found electrodes are pure tungsten (normally used for non-ferrous alloys) and 2% thoriated (thorium is radioactive - normally used for ferrous alloys).  Numerous other tungsten base alloys are used as the electrode to obtain different arc characteristics.  The process is similar to oxy-fuel welding except that the electrical arc generates the heat input which can be tightly controlled.  The electrode is easily contaminated in the shaping process and all shaping should be done only on a diamond or CBN abrasive that is dedicated for use with tungsten electrodes only.

Bottom is a Miller XMT-304 multi-function power source.  Middle shelf left is a Miller S-64 twin-drive wheel wire feeder.  Middle shelf right is a Miller S-32s voltage-sensing wire feeder (operates off the voltage supplied via the electrode & work connections and works off constant-voltage or constant-current welding power sources).  Top shelf is all the GTAW stuff; torches, foot & hand controls for gas and arc, ect.  Under the middle shelf (can't see them) are the high-freq and GMAW pulse control units.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:50:16 PM by FL-Flinter »
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
These descriptions of welding processes are great.  Thanks all!

I have an oxy/acetylene torch and a little ability with it.  Which of these other welding tools would be most applicable to gun building?

Bruce

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
Bruce,

That's a tough call because it will depend upon what you're doing and your skill level with the process.  If you're going from mild steel to other alloys, a GMAW is real pain in the butt to change wire on all the time - that's why I have 5 wire feeders, three spool guns and three self-contained GMAW machines, each one set-up for a specific use and ready to go when I needed it but that was a major part of my business.

If this is something you want to park in the corner for an occasional small job, I'd have to say go with something like the Miller Maxstar or a similar high-quality CC (constant current for SMAW/GTAW) inverter power source.  A good selection of electrodes can be kept on hand and changing from one alloy to another is simply a matter of putting a different electrode in the holder.  If you see the reply I just posted under the other welding thread, at the bottom I explained about 1/16" diameter SMAW electrodes which are quite handy for the small stuff.  The versatility of a SMAW power source and it's ease of use are the two biggest selling points.  Also as I stated in the other post, you can do scratch-start GTAW with a good quality CC power source but it does take practice and if put it aside for a couple months, you've got to take the time to get the "feel" back again before you get into welding whatever it is you're needing to weld.

GMAW wire feeders definitely have their place but you'll see the comments in the other post about having to over-fill then do a lot of filing/grinding.  With a SMAW and stick electrode, the angle at which you hold the filler rod in relation to the work as well as the current setting on the power source allow for much finer control of the weld.  Say you're making a trigger guard, back-up the pieced to be welded with another piece of scrap steel, set the current for the stick to run smooth, start the rod on the scrap and when the arc smoothes out bring it into the weld, keep the rod at 90° to the work and it'll lay a nice flat bead on the work and as you come off the work, let it fill the end of the weld joint and break the arc in a sweeping motion off the scrap piece - just takes a little practice to learn how not to weld the work to the scrap.  Same if you're going to fill a small hole or make a spot weld, lay a scrap piece next to the hole, start the arc on the scrap and come into the weld with a hot rod, let it cut, fill and break the arc by popping the rod strait up.   If you want to build-up a surface, lower the rod angle to the work and lower the current, the lower the rod angle is to the work, the higher the weld bead will be.

The most common mistake made with SMAW welding is keeping the arc too-long.  Keep the arc tight to the work - exception being when running high-cleaning electrodes like E6010 and E6011.  For low hydrogen electrodes like E7018, you want the arc tight which lets you turn the current up without putting excessive heat into the work but still maintaining good penetration.  By "tight" I mean you should be able to lay the rod against the work and feel the flux dragging on the work as you move the rod. 

If you've never done any SMAW welding, get someone who knows what they're doing to teach you starting with vertical up then overhead - don't even consider putting a bead down in the flat position until you learn V-up & OH because learning in those positions will prevent you from learning all the bad habits that will make welding much more difficult to learn.  You start long-arcing or laying the rod down in a V-up or OH weld and it'll all drop out in your face so you know exactly when you did the wrong thing.  Having someone tell you what you did wrong is one thing, seeing it happen in real-time provides a much better understanding and much shorter learning curve.  In addition to learning how to hold and move the rod correctly, you'll also learn how to set the current and control the heat input into the work all at the same time.  When it comes to SMAW, FCAW & GMAW, I prefer running V-up over any other position whenever it's possible to do so. 

The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Thanks Scott, Acer, Mark< and Bruce. Wow, great answers. I'll be studying them for awhile.