Author Topic: Bucks Co Rifle, finally finished!  (Read 13678 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Bucks Co Rifle, finally finished!
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:08:15 AM »
I started this rifle last June at the NMLRA's seminar in Jack Brooks class, and between builds for others, finally finished it this week.  It's based on an original rifle that Jack had restored, and built from plans he made.  It has a Ed Rayl barrel, 42", .54 cal.  The stock wood is from Wayne Dunlap.  The Butt piece, trigger guard, and side plate are cast from the original rifle.  All other parts I made.  It was stained with home brewed Aquia Fortis, and finished with Permalyn sealer and some Tried & True varnish.  The carving is close to the original, but I didn't copy it exactly.  The engraving pattern on the patch box (which I'm not real thrilled with) is per the original rifle.  The lock is a Davis Early Colonial, and closely resembles the original.  I wasn't sure about such a big lock, but after finishing it, think it's one of the rifles strong suits.  Anyway, critiques, comments, suggestions are all welcome.

Thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline KLMoors

Re: Bucks Co Rifle, finally finished!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »
Oh man! Real nice job on all that incised carving Ed.

Nice clean lines on that gun.

I am hoping to get my eyes on this one this weekend!

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:15:02 AM »
Beautiful!  What were his classes like?  What did a normal day consist of?

razor62

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
Absolutely beautiful!!! Nice work man. A real thing of beauty!

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:41:25 AM »
Ed,
What a fine rifle!
That's some very nice incised carving.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline blackbruin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »
I think the large lock makes it ! Besides the lovely incise etc...

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:58 AM »
Hi Ed,
Wonderful gun!!  The design is great and your lock choice was brilliant.  Yours is some of the best incised carving I've seen.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:25 AM »
Its all really nice Ed but I just love the architecture. A wonderful piece of functional sculpture!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:04 AM »
Always a plasure to view a Bucks County LR...your incised carving is very neat and flowing.....Fred

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Thanks, all, very much.

SouthernSteel&Shot:  I would highly recommend any of the classes at Bowling Green.  All the instructors are very knowledgeable, talented, and freely share information.  Jacks class was like "Longrifle U"!  We'd start around 7, and go until 5 or a little after.  Each day, Jack would bring us together a couple of times and go over various aspects of Longrifles, e.g., patch box construction, ram rod thimbles, inletting techniques, finishes, etc.  Plus, he was available all day long to answer questions and provide individual instruction.  I can't say enough about the seminars, except I wish I'd gone six years ago.  It's not cheap, but in my opinion, worth every cent.

Any questions that I can help answer, let me know.  Also, I have other photos if there's something you might like to see.  And again, suggestions, critiques are welcome.

Ed
Ed Wenger

pushboater

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Ed,
     Beautiful craftsmanship!  If my fantasy Bucks County turns out half as nice I'll consider it a success! I especially like how you finished the lock and barrel.  It has that soft mellowed look that suggests that it's been well used but lovingly taken care of. I'd appreciate any insight you could give us on your metal finishing technique.

Capt. David

Offline cmac

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
Love it!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Ed, great lines.  I'd find it hard to believe that big lock would work on a slim-wristed rifle but it looks great.  How did you do the carving which looks terrific?  Stabbed or chased?

The forearm, is it especially long or is it the camera angle?  I think it helps draw out the slimness of the gun, maintaining that long line.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
Ed,
She turned out beautifully!!!  If mine even turns out to look like an ugly stepsister I would be proud!  Once again your excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail shines.  Great job.

As for the classes at Bowling Green, I have to agree with Ed.  It is worth every penny to be able to learn from such talented instructors.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
Looks good Ed.Nice clean carving :) :) :)

Mitch

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
Good job Ed!  I really admire the incised carving.  Probably because I have never given it a whirl yet.  How do you execute your incised carving?  Vee gouge, knife, stabbing?  Also, what method did you use to finish you barrel?  I really like the grey look.
David 

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
 Great looking rifle Ed. I really like the carving, both execution and design and I think the engraving on the PB looks like it fits well.

Tim C. 

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
Ed,

Once again, you have crafted a real fine rifle!  I envy your carving skill!  It gives me something to aspire to.

John Cholin

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Again, thanks very much!

The metal finish was achieved by cold bluing the metal, then simply rubbing back with a medium grit scotch brite pad soaked in some old motor oil.  I've also used WD-40.  When rubbing back, I apply most of the pressure to the barrel angles, not the flats, which tends to highlight wear and gives some contrast.  Same thing with the lock, hit the high spots that would get the most amount or wear, which also creates some contrast and depth.

Rich, the forearm is just over 12"...  The rear sight is 12" from the end of the breech, so that'll give you an idea.

The incised carving was executed primarily with gouges, and a very small amount of knife work.  After studying some original rifles, I was convinced at least some carving was done in this manner.  I've found that, for me, I can get way better curves and arcs with gouges than with a "v" gouge, especially with tight curves.  Also, and it's hard to see in the photos, but the large "leaf" behind the tang, and some parts of the design behind the cheek piece, are slightly relieved.

Hope that helps, and again, thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:15 AM »
Really clean work Ed. Very well done.  Hope to see it this summer if someone doesn't doesn't buy it before then. 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »
Really nice rifle Ed - be proud! Love your incised carving and the architecture.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 03:31:59 AM »
Great job. The carving is amazing and the stain looks great ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »
Ed, well done. Very nice looking rifle!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »
What lock did you use?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
Great job. The carving is beautifully designed and executed. Perfect box. Nice styling. Really a nice rifle. The lock is a little outrageous but I agree, it works..