Author Topic: Blacksmith's cone mandrel  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Blacksmith's cone mandrel
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
I was walking through our campground yesterday getting ready to open for the season.  I noticed this
cone Mandrel sitting by one of my tenants trailers.  I contacted him and asked him where he got it from.
He said he found it in a pile of scrap on our property and drug it over to his campsite to use as lawn
ornament and was planning to paint it.  I don't know how it got on our property, but like to imagine that
it may have been great grandfather McMaster's.  He was a blacksmith in Kittanning PA and shows his location on an 1850s map of Kittanning.  It's my story and I can make it up any way I want ;D
  Thought you black arts guys might like to see it.  One more display for the Shreckengost gun shop.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:12:33 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

JWBlair

Re: Blacksmith's cone mandrel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
Great find!Is it hollow or solid?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
It's partially hollow.  I would guess it's weight at 75 -80 lbs.  24" tall
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:36:34 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »
So just what would it be used for ....... building 18th Century traffic cones ?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 03:18:27 AM »
Yikes...Used for bending metal ie. wagon wheels etc,

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
That's a nice one. The slender ones with the shallow taper are easier to use. If you need to make a ring you rough shape it and forge weld it, then heat it, drop it over the mandrel, and tap the high spots.

What is really interesting to me is the forge behind it. Multiple leather belts?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
2 belts. Cant remember if blower is a Champion or some other brand but is is marked 1880 something